Chapter 30

Luke's POV

I'm about to videochat my mom when Delilah shows up at my house. People always seem to show up whenever I videochat someone. I don't mind, though. Then my mom has someone to actually talk to.

I'm not avoiding Delilah anymore, we've been hanging out for the past few days. Candace (and Ashton too) helped me realize that avoiding her isn't going to help anything. I can't try to push away all the feelings I have when I'm around her, I have to try to figure them out.

I don't like trying to figure out my feelings, though. It's very confusing for me.

"Hey!" Delilah says, sitting beside me on my bed.

I smile at her and wave.

"I was thinking, since I probably won't have school again tomorrow, we could maybe go see a movie or something?" she asks, propping herself up on her elbow. She's had the past two days off from school due to the snow.

I nod. My laptop starts ringing with a video call from my mom.

"Oh, were you about to videochat Calum or your mom? I can go," she says, getting up. I pull her back down beside me and accept my mom's call.

"Hi, Luke! Hi?" my mom says, seeming confused as to why there's an unfamiliar girl beside me in bed.

I can see why she looks concerned.

I look over at Delilah.

"Hi! I'm Delilah! I'm Luke's... friend!" Delilah says.

"Oh, I've heard about you! Nice to meet you!" my mom says.

Delilah's cheeks blush, and she looks at me from the corner of her eyes and smirks. "Oh?"

"How's the weather?" my mom asks.

"Snowy. Cold," Delilah says.

"It's pretty warm up here. Do you miss the warm weather, Luke?"

I shake my head. I like the snow.

"He likes the snow," Delilah says laughing, as if she can read my mind. "He just gets cold really quickly and steals all the blankets."

My mom laughs, and I can tell she's suspicious of something going on between Delilah and me.

Which there isn't.

"Do you have plans for Christmas?" Delilah asks my mom after we talk more about the snow.

My mom gets quiet. "I'm not sure. It'll be just me since Luke's not here. Calum's family invited me over, so I may be with them."

I never even thought about the fact that she'd be alone on Christmas. She's alone every day. I wonder what she does without me around. I wonder if she's worried about me.

"Oh," Delilah says, not quite knowing how to respond. "I'm sure whatever you do will be great!"

"I hope so. Christmas won't be the same without Luke."

I bite down on my lip, suddenly missing my mom more than ever. It's been a long time since I've seen her. I don't like thinking about the fact that she'll be alone on Christmas.

After a few minutes, Delilah's phone rings. She leaves the room and comes back after a few minutes.

"That was work. I guess they need me to come in. Do you think you could watch Lucy for me? My parents are going out in an hour, I was supposed to watch her," Delilah says quickly.

I'm not sure I can take care of Lucy on my own. It shouldn't be that hard though. She's a pretty simple kid. I nod slowly.

"Really? You're the best. Okay, I'll be right back!" Delilah says.