Chapter 22

Delilah's POV

"What are we gonna do today?" Lucy asks. She's sitting on the windowsill, tapping her finger on the window.

"Noah wants to go see a movie. Do you wanna do that?"

"Can it be Frozen?"

"I already told you, it's not at the movies anymore."

"But I wanna see Olaf!"

"I'm sorry, Lucy, but he's not at the movies anymore."

"Why not?"

"Because."

"Cause why?"

"Because it's summer?" I say it more like a question. It's not even summer, it's fall, but hopefully she won't realize it.

"It's not summer, silly," she says, giggling.

I sigh, knowing I'm not going to get anywhere with this. I pick her up off the windowsill and and sit down beside her on the couch.

"What about go to the park?" I ask her.

She tilts her head and thinks for a second. "Okay!" she says excitedly. "Let's go to the park! Let's go to the park!" she says, jumping up and down.

After a few minutes of getting Lucy into a her jacket (she just had to zipper it herself), we're finally ready. It's kind of cold out, so I'm hoping she won't want to stay long.

"Can we ask Lukey to come?" Lucy asks.

"His name is Luke. And no, he's busy," I lie. She's asked about Luke every day since Thanksgiving.

She pouts and looks up at me. "No, it's Lukey. It sounds like Lucy."

I laugh at her, thinking back to the time I first hungout with Luke at the party. That girl kept calling him Lukey too.

"What did you say to Luke the other day?" I ask, still wondering how she made him laugh.

"When?"

"Thanksgiving."

"When was that?"

Lucy always forgets things, or at least she says she does. I don't believe her half the time.

"It was a few days ago," I tell her.

She shrugs, putting one hand in the air. "I dunno."

"Are you sure?"

"It might've been about a green bean, I don't really know. Was I eating a green bean when I said it?"

"No," I say, trying not to laugh.

"Oh..." she says, losing focus and looking around. As we walk, she holds tightly to my hand, swaying our arms back and forth.

When we're almost to the park, Lucy lets go of my hand and starts running down the sidewalk. I'm about to yell at her until I realize what, or who, she's running to.

"Lukey!" she shrieks, running towards Luke. He's standing at his front door with his hands in his pocketse. Lucy wraps her arms around him, or more so his legs, and hugs him tightly. He slowly puts his arm around her as best he can since she's so much smaller.

She looks up at him, still holding tightly to his legs. "Will you come to the park? Puh-leaseeeee," she says, saying the word in two long syllables.

Luke smiles and looks down at Lucy, then up at me. I don't say anything.

He nods.

"Yay! He said he'll come!" Lucy reaches up to grab Luke's hand, and she opens and closes her hand until Luke notices. He holds her small hand inside his and walks over to me.