Chapter 11

just fyi luke is videochatting so he's going to be typing stuff and that will be in italics

Luke's POV

I sit anxiously in front of my laptop, staring at Calum's icon on Skype.

C'mon, Luke. Just press call.

We've planned to video chat today, with my mom too. She doesn't understand how the whole Skype thing works, so Calum is helping her. I've kept my finger wavering above the button to call for a few minutes now. I don't know why I'm so nervous to see them. It's my mom and Calum, the two most familiar people in my life. But for some reason, there's butterflies in my stomach.

I'm anxious to see them again, it feels like it's been forever. I feel like I'm in a whole other world, not just a different continent. Nothing is the same here.

Calum's smiling icon pops up, saying he's calling me. They probably think I've forgotten or that I don't want to talk to them, but I do. I always mess things up, don't I?

I press accept and wait for the call to connect. I can hear them, just not see them.

“Calum, it says the webcam isn't working? What's that? Where's the webcam?” I hear my mom say.

“Liz, Liz. Stop pressing random buttons! I got this!” Calum says, laughing hysterically. He sounds happy. He's making the hiccup noises he makes when he laughs too hard. I missed that.

I didn't think it was possible to miss them this much. It's been 21 days without them. It's nice to hear their voices, but I want to see them now. Just hearing them is making me happier already.

“Look, oh my goodness, I can see Luke!” I hear my mom say. “Calum, hurry! I want him to see us too! Oh my gosh, I miss you so much, sweetie!” My mom babbles on and on about how much she misses me. It makes me miss her even more. I didn't realize how homesick I really was.

“Luke, can you hear us?” Calum asks. I nod.

“He nodded!” my mom says excitedly.

“Waitttt.... Got it!” Calum says. Shortly after, they pop up on my screen, smiling widely. They both cheer excitedly. I clap my hands to show that I'm excited too.

“Hi, honey!” my mom says happily. I wave, and she smiles even more. A few tears slip from her eyes. She wipes the tears away quickly, and she's still smiling.

I blink a few times to stop myself from crying too.

mom if u cry i'll cry :-(

“Sorry, Luke, sorry!” she says, waving her hands frantically.

We talk for awhile, with her asking questions like how my dad is or how I'm feeling. It's nice to talk to them again. They're the only ones who really know how I feel.

Calum tells me all about what's happening back home. I guess people keep asking about me, which is weird. They didn't seem to care when I was there, so why do they care now?

“I've been on the search for a new Fifa partner, but no one wants to play with me,” Calum says, pouting. Typical Calum.

ur such a geezer !

Calum laughs. “I am not! Fifa is fun!” he says, defending himself.

Now I wish I was playing Fifa with Calum. It's weird because when I left, I couldn't wait to leave. I wanted to be away from everyone. But now that I've been gone, I want to go back home. I'd rather be there than here, that's for sure. I have no one here. I thought I was lonely back home, but I really wasn't. I had a caring mother and a great friend, and I treated them terribly.