Chapter 14

Someone was aggressively shaking me awake. I didn't know what time it was but it was still dark. There were lights outside.

"Wake up!" It was Jenny. "We have to leave, now!"

"What's wrong?" I groaned as I sat up.

She looks at me with frantic eyes, "They're here. We have to go, NOW!"

"Who?"

"Carter! He's here!"

Shit!

I quickly got up and followed her out of my room. We went to the far end of the hallway; a window was open and Jacob was outside. While I was stepping out, I heard glass breaking downstairs.

I moved quicker and went down the stairs of the emergency exit. When we were on the ground, we ran to the back of the house passing by the garden, and went to the forest.

They both had their flashlights on, but it was still hard to see things around the forest.

I heard a gunshot, and Jacob falls on the ground. His right leg was hit, and he was bleeding really badly.

"Jacob!" Jenny and I both stop to help him up but he pushes us away.

"Go!" He shouts at us. "Hurry!"

"We can't just leave you here" I tell him as I tried to help but he pushes me away again.

He turns to Jenny, "She's the priority, remember. Go, please. They can't get her."

Jenny leans and kisses him. She mumbles something to him and pulls me away.

"Wait! We can't leave him!"

"We have to go!" She held my arm as we ran deeper in the forest. And then we heard another gunshot.

Jacob... Fuck! They killed him!

We both grew tired as we ran. My legs were shaking but we knew better than to stop and rest.

"I see them! Over there!" We hear someone shout. We both ran as faster than we could. The sky was getting lighter, but there wasn't any sunlight hitting the ground. Jenny threw the flashlight she was holding far from us. We made a left turn and kept on running.

They were firing at us. We both ducked as we ran. The bullets were hitting the trees and the ground.

I felt a sharp pain on the back of my leg and I fell on the ground. I held it and it was wet.

Shit, I got hit!

Jenny bent down and put a pressure on the gash on my leg.

"They hit an artery!"

"It hurts" I whimpered as tears slipped down my cheeks.

"He was supposed to shoot her, not you" We both looked up to see Carter and five men aiming their guns at us.

They were all wearing black suits.

Carter pulls out a gun and shoots one of them in the head. I gasped in horror as the guy's body fell limp on the ground. "Learn to follow instructions next time! So, you won't end up like this moron, clear?"

"Yes sir!" All of them responds. Carter raises his hands and the soldiers put their gun down. He still had his gun on his hand as he walked closer to us. I wanted to back away but every time I moved my leg would sting. I turned on my back, and Jenny moved her hand so she could cover the gash.

"You—" He points at Jenny, "You have no idea what you and Jacob had done." Despite having a calm demeanor, his voice was seething. And he was looking at Jenny with so much hate.

"She doesn't deserve this!" Jenny whimpers, tears wetting her cheeks. "Please, don't hurt her. Just let her go."

"You didn't really think you'd get away, did you?" He ignores her and went to say, "We were so close to making the perfect virus. She was the perfect test subject."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. How... how did I even end up with these people?

The hospital... The BSAA... they... they gave me to them?

Carter takes something from one of the soldier's back and tosses in front of Jenny. "Patch her up" Jenny rushes to pick it up and opens it. It was filled with white cloths and small bottles.

She didn't have much trouble cleaning my wound since I was wearing a dress that stops a couple of inches above my knee. It was freezing, I could feel my jaw shaking because of it. When she was done, two men walked up to us and pulled her away from me.

"No!" I tried to reach out to her but my leg stung.

"It's okay" Jenny looked at me with teary eyes, "It's okay."

I looked at Carter, "Please don't hurt her. Please, I'll do anything you want" I pleaded. "I'll go with you; you can do whatever you want with me. Please, don't hurt her." He walks closer to me. When he was right next to me, he bent on one knee and wipes my cheeks with the beck on his index finger.

"You're a pretty little thing, aren't you?" He cups my cheek with one hand and out of instinct I pull away. "And you have the most incredible genes as well. You'll be very useful to me."

I look at Jenny and she was on her knees, quietly sobbing with her arms wrapped around her stomach. Carter turns his attention to Jenny. He raises his hand and the two men with Jenny aims their guns at her.

No, no, no, no, no!

I held Carter's arm and he turns his head to me, "Please don't! Please, I'm begging you!" I was sobbing at this point but I didn't care.

"She broke the rules" He pulls his arm from me and stood up.

"It's okay" Jenny kept her eyes on me. "I'll be okay. Stop crying, baby." Her eyes were puffy and red.

"Please, Carter!" I sob. He raises his gun and points it at her.

"No! Please!"

"I'll be okay" Jenny tells me. "At least the five of us will be together" Her arms shift on her stomach.

Oh my God... She's pregnant.

Carter pulls the trigger and her body falls limp on the ground. I felt my heart stop for a moment. I was about to scream but he quickly covers my mouth. I tried to push him off but he held both of my hands with one hand.

I raised my leg and kicked his ribs and he fell on his back, groaning in pain.

"Don't shoot her!" Carter shouts. I was about to go to Jenny's body but someone pulled me back. I felt someone cover my mouth and a strong chemical smell hit my nose.

I held my breath as I continued to struggle against him. I hate him! I hate him and being this close to him disgusts me so much!

"You're gonna have to breath one way or another" I hear Carter speak behind me. He pulls my back close to his chest with one arm around me. I watched the two men pick up Jenny's body and carry it somewhere.

The smell was making me dizzy, and as much as I tried to stay awake I couldn't. I felt someone move me and the last thing I saw was blue eyes looking to mine before everything went black.

--------

hope you guys don't hate me after this chapter. I have a surprise for the next chapter and I hope you like it!

-daniii