rede {15}

Mrs. Zamolodhikova was quite similar to her daughter. They shared their golden-blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes. Katya accredited her mother for her business-mindset and personal drive, along with her spontaneity.

The pair were sat in the back of a small cafe for lunch, both donning expensive garments and luxurious jewelry.

"So there's a woman, Mama," Katya said.

Her mother's eyes widened as she sipped on her tea. "Is there?"

Katya smiled. "Yes, her name's Trixie. She's quite lovely."

"Trixie," her mother said. "Sounds like some kind of doll." Her mother's accent wasn't too thick, but her English sometimes felt clunky. Had it not been for the recent anti-immigrant pressures swelling in the nation, she would be speaking in Russian.

Katya smiled, picturing Trixie plump lips and wide eyes. Her hair styled like a Barbie with clothing to match. She always looked as if she was ready to be photographed for a children's magazine, but make that fashionable. "She really is a doll," Katya said, looking down at her plate and smiling. "I asked her to be my girlfriend the other day."

"How long have you known her?"

Katy shrugged. "Long enough, don't worry about that."

"Does she know? You know, about your past?"

Katya nodded, pushing around a salad on her plate.

Her mother nodded in approval. "That is very good."

"I want to take care of her, Mama," Katya said. The statement came out like a mixture of a whine and a command, and Katya wasn't sure it was supposed to be either of those things. She had been without a partner for so long, and she had never dated someone seriously when she had the type of money she did now.

Her mother sighed. "Then do it. You are always so.. hesitant about other people. Sometimes you just need to believe in yourself a little more. You have built an amazing life for yourself. There is nothing wrong with wanting to share that with someone else."

"She doesn't want me to take care of her."

Katya's mother rolled her eyes. "Let yourself be happy, Katya. If she doesn't want you to take care of her, ease her into it. Offer little things before big ones. But don't stress about it. You worry too much, my love."

Katya sighed.

The two talked for a bit longer about Trixie and how she made Katya feel. She had never been truly in love before- only came close with one other woman- but she felt she was falling for Trixie. Her mother told her not to worry and then, as a mother should, grilled Katya about her sobriety and her attendance to NA meetings.

"I've built something for myself where I can be happy and sober, see a psychologist and psychiatrist at the drop of a hat, and can do whatever I want. I'm doing fine," Katya said.

Mrs. Zamolodchikova sighed. "Your brother Daniil has not been doing well. He says he is depressed, says he wants out of Russia and the business."

"Did you tell him it was too late? He and my sister shouldn't have gone over there if it wasn't something they wanted to do."

"Tsk tsk," her mother said. "They wanted the success of your father."

Katya rolled her eyes. "Neither of them have the drive to get it. They just want money."

"Yekaterina, be kind to your siblings." Her mother paused for a moment, an odd aura coming off of her. "I may need you to go over there and.. check in on things."

Katya turned pale and shook her head quickly. "Mama, you have to be kidding."

Her mother stirred more sugar into her tea and shrugged slightly. "I am getting to old to go over there, and you haven't spoken to your siblings or father in ages. It's time you give back to the family business a bit."

"I just told you about the woman I'm seeing, how am I supposed to explain a trip to Russia to her?"

"Stop worrying. You'll give yourself wrinkles," she said, sipping her tea. "You will figure it out. It is not definite yet, anyway. I'm not sure when or for how long, but you do not have a choice."

Katya couldn't believe what she was hearing. The last thing she wanted was for Trixie to think she had her wealth because her daddy was a Russian bondsman who had too much money and not enough compassion. Katya hadn't spoken to her siblings in years for good reason: they harassed her about not going to Russia with them and denounced her addition and mental-health struggles as excuses to get out of going. Her father never had much compassion to him; he paid for rehab but the checks stopped coming as soon as she was better.

But at the end of the day, he did pay for rehab and help Katya start investing well and making money.

But Russia was so far away...

"Katya," her mother said, interrupting her spiraling thoughts. Katya looked at her and saw that she was much older than she remembered, her skin now wrinkled and loose on her face despite the plastic surgery she's had. "Can you take me home? I'm going out to dinner with some friends."

"Yes, Mama," Katya said, getting the check and passing the server her black credit card.

When the car arrived out front, Katya decided she wanted to walk home. It was both an opportunity to be outside on a nice day and escape the possibility of more talk about going to Russia. She walked her mother to the car and was about to close the door when her mother spoke once more.

"Do not worry so much, please," she said, holding Katya's hand in her own. "You will find happiness with Trixie if you let yourself. Do not be afraid to be happy."

-

a/n: this chapter is for sophie, idk when or if she'll read it but i've been thinking about her a lot today and she's wonderful. i love you <3