contact {8}

Katya had always been the type of person who needs to see conflicts resolved. Maybe it was due to the amount of anxiety she gets when things are left unfinished, but that's just how shes always been. Ever since she was a child, if one of her siblings started a fight with her or each other, she always needed to see everyone make up. Maybe that's what lead to her being diagnosed with anxiety at such a young age. Anyway, Trixie deciding to act like a child just didn't sit well with Katya. Not one bit.

Katya found herself standing in front of the diner at six that evening. She had already eaten dinner; she didn't plan on getting anything but either tea or coffee tonight. She just needed to see Trixie and make things right.

The bell rang as she pushed open the doors. There were more people than the other day, but it wasn't too crowded. There were families sat at tables wearing clothes from last year talking to children who had snot-covered faces and dirty hands. There were couples laughing and conversing, maybe on a first date. There were a few people by themselves, sitting at the breakfast bar in front of the kitchen. So that's where Katya sat.

It was Kim behind the counter, serving the pensive, quiet customers who came here on their own.

"Hey, Katya," Kim said, her voice chipper. She looked genuinely happy to see her. "What can I get for you this evening?"

"I'll just have a black coffee," Katya said, pausing to look around. "Is Trixie here?"

Kim turned around to where the coffee pots were and began to make it as she spoke. "She is, actually. She's been acting very odd today."

Katya was intrigued. "How so?"

Kim then turned back to Katya as the coffee pot whirred to life behind her. "She's been short with me, not wanting to have conversation, very focused on the job she hates. It's not like her."

Katya nodded, knowing she was the reason for this stark shift in behavior.

Kim furrowed her brow. "Has she said anything to you?"

"No," Katya said. "That's actually why I'm here. I need to talk to her."

"Do you want me to get her for you?"

Katya was grateful for Kim's kindness. She would've killed to have a friend like her when she was Trixie's age. "Yes, please," Katya said. She changed the cadence of her voice to a much steadier, softer one. "If its not too much trouble."

With a bow of her head, Kim turned away from Katya and left, headed toward the back of the diner. Trixie was standing by the kitchen doors, waiting for her customer's food to be ready. Maybe she had just put on less blush, or she was tapping her foot to a different rhythm, but she was definitely not her normal self.

"Hey, babe," Kim said, ripping Trixie from her daydream.

Her daydream about Katya, and what her lips tasted like, and what she looked like when she was being fucked. It was an inappropriate one to be having at work, she knew, but she really couldn't help it.  Ever since last night she had felt awful about how she just barged out of Katya's place, and she had been daydreaming about ways to make it better. The current fantasy: makeup sex.

She ran her hands down her shirt as means to straighten out any wrinkles. "Hey," she said flatly. She hadn't told Kim or Alyssa or anyone else what happened, and she didn't plan to.

Kim rolled her eyes. "You work the bar. The coffee on the pot is for the woman there."

She sounded pissed. Trixie knew it was her fault- she hadn't exactly been friendly today- but still.

She handed her list of orders to Kim and passed her, walking toward the front of the diner and the bar. Her eyes were immediately drawn to the blonde hair and red lip sitting at the counter on her phone. She turned to scowl at Kim, but she was already handing out food to customers and talking to them much more cheerily than Trixie had.

Her stomach did a somersault as she poured coffee into a cup and pushed it toward Katya.

"Here ya go," Trixie said. She wanted to turn away then and be mad at Kim, but she couldn't.

Katya smiled. "Hey."

She said it in that voice that convinced Trixie there was no bad in the world. She could hear the smirk that was on Katya's face. Angels sung and her grandmother wept at the sound. It was simply the most magical voice Trixie had ever heard, and no one could convince her otherwise.

Though her stomach continued to flip, her feet and eyes remained planted onto the linoleum floor beneath her. "Hey," she said, shifting her weight from side to side.

"When does your shift end?"

She couldn't bring herself to look at Katya. "Seven," she mumbled, feeling her face grow hot. There were fifteen minutes left, and she knew that because she had been counting them down since twelve this afternoon.

Katya stirred half a packet of sugar into her coffee. "Can I wait for you?"

"Why?" The word came out more harshly than Trixie had intended. I'm sorry, she thought, but she didn't say anything.

The lack of enthusiasm hurt Katya's chest. "I'd like to talk to you," she said. "We could talk at yours if you want."

"Okay," Trixie said, finally bringing her gaze up to Katya's deep-set blue eyes. They looked more bloodshot than usual.  She looked stressed. "We're walking, then."

"Alright," Katya replied. "Thank you, kiska."

The nickname and the voice made Trixie swoon, but she couldn't show it. She turned away from Katya and back to her other customers, being sure to thank Kim once she got there.