41

GOTHAM CITY, 4 YEARS AGO
Drake Lance

"How is two orders of orange chicken a snack?" David says following me in the apartment, while he wears his disguise civilian clothes for his undercover job, taking his little nightshift break with me. I carry the Chinese takeout and place it on the kitchen counter and begin unpacking hit.

"Because anything after midnight is considered a snack." I say and he looks at me confused.

"What? You just made that up." He says reading me and I chuckle as I just did. I just needed an excuse to have orange chicken, and to see him too. "Where you going with that food?" He teases me and hip bumps me lightly grabbing some of the food as I take my leather jacket off me.

David reaches into the food taking it out and placing the food into a plate until I hear heavy knocks on the door

David reaches into the food taking it out and placing the food into a plate until I hear heavy knocks on the door. I get confused as we don't have friends, neither neighbors to care about us. Me and David are to ourselves. We both give each other confused looks and David gets off the counter and walks towards the door as I continue to set up our dinner.

I hear the door open and a couple guys talking but I can't make out what they are saying. "Yo, what's this about?" David says in a different accent and voice tone and I look out to make sure everything is okay. 3 guys barge into the apartment while David follows from behind them and I begin to get nervous as they don't look like good news. "It's the middle of the night, this can't wait till morning?"

"What? We were in the neighborhood." The bald guy says as he stares directly at me and I stand defensively but not making myself obvious that I'm a threat. David walks up to me and puts his hands towards me gesturing to calm down and I follow his lead.

"It's okay." David says quietly and I take his word as I calm down, but keep myself alert.

"I'm sorry are we interrupting fag night?" The bald guy speaks again and I look towards David nervously.

"What's going on?" I ask him softly, still confused by what is happening. These don't look like David's cop friends, and I'm beginning to think that David isn't friends with thugs either.

"Drake, this is Wyatt." David says introducing me to the bald thug and Wyatt stares at me, then ignores me.

"And Humpty and Dumpty?" I look at the other two thugs that are behind Wyatt and David gets nervous.

"Yo, check out my man David. You're finally gettin' that nice trim, except he's a fag." Wyatt says mocking me and I look at Wyatt meanly as he doesn't know what I'm capable of.

"Not trim, and definitely not nice." I say with a cocky attitude as I begin to feel my anger being built up.