NEXT TO YOU

My thumbs tap on the steering wheel rhythmically to 'Next To You' by Chris Brown and Justin Bieber. Nerves fill up my body until I feel like I'm ready to burst at the seams. When the bold, green logo of the world-renowned café comes into view, I quickly find a parking space, surprised it's not busier than this. There are a few people, teenagers and families mostly, walking around but other than that, the street is pretty vacated. I guess this Starbucks isn't in a high-traffic area or in the middle of town so it's lack of business is to be expected.

Moving would require my body, which is currently frozen in my seat. My eyes are stuck to the café window, or more precisely, the person sitting at one of the window tables. Squinting my eyes, I can make out him resting his head against his palm, a frown encompassing his entire face. Black hair falls over his eyes in his position and I feel my heart beat spike in speed.

Ollie.

Suddenly gaining movement, my body slides out of the car on autopilot, locking it behind me as I make my way to Starbucks' entry. Oliver has yet to notice me as I enter the rather small coffee lounge. Bitter espresso, mixed with the scent of sweetness reaches my senses. Breathing in, I focus on walking to the counter, knowing that once I'm there I will be within Oliver's view. Trying my best not to look his way, I order my usual and wait to the side after paying. 

Holding onto every inch of control I have is hard when I can feel his eyes on me. 

"Four Shot Venti Iced Caramel Macchiato for Macy!" The loud voice shakes me from my thoughts. Stepping towards the counter, I thank the pink-haired lady. As soon as the cold drink is in my hands, I take a long sip from the 'sippy cup' lid. A small smile curves at my lips every time I order from hear, joyous that Starbucks have started eliminating straws from their cafés. 

Everything we can do to help our planet and its ecosystems adds up. A lot of people think doing something as small as not using plastic straws won't do anything, but if everyone does this - or at least a large group of us - then it's not such small thing anymore. It's the same with the elimination of plastic bags in supermarkets and other stores. Anything we can do to help counts and matters. 

After a few moments of fussing with napkins and sugar packets, I realise I can't stall anymore. I can't stay at this counter forever, he's already waited over an hour, I should just get this over with. Trying to obtain the little control I have left, I apply it to my breathing to help even it out. 

Drawing in one more deep breath, I turn around and meet his hazel gaze.

Here we go.

♡♡♡

AN: This is a 'short story' (more like a novella lol) which is why I've split this scene up! ♥️

Don't hate on me too much for the suspense 😂😂 I don't have the next part written and I have to update my book on my other account so I have no idea when the next update is!

Also, we're almost at the end of this book ♥️

-Chloe x