UNPROFESSIONAL

"Hello, you're speaking with Macy from Heartache Hotline. How may I cure you today?"

"Hey, it's Oliver."

I literally feel my mood lift which pushes me to act indifferent. "Oliver? Oh, you called a week ago. Right?"

What a face-palm moment, Macy.

"Uh yeah! Sorry, I forgot that you literally get called by so many people a day."

Now I feel bad for making him feel forgettable. "No don't worry, it's just been a long week. What's up?"

"I've been pretty down and I just wanted to talk. Not about that but about anything else. I need the distraction."

The sadness in his voice causes me to frown, "What about your friends?"

"They're always busy working, studying, or doing whatever else they're doing."

"Doesn't that bother you? That they too busy for you when you're going through something so painful?" I wonder, perplexed that his friends don't make time for him.

There's a pause for a moment before he finally responds.

"They kinda don't know. I haven't told anyone. Well, except for you of course."

"Wait, why not?"

"I don't know. I guess I'm just not ready to talk about it."

"Fair enough, although you'll have to talk about it sometime to get everything off your chest."

"Yeah, yeah, eventually. Has today been busy?"

He really loves to change the subject, doesn't he? "You're doing it again but I'll let you off. Yeah it's been pretty busy today. I've answered over twenty calls within the past five hours."

"Any weird ones?"

I shiver in disgust when thinking about earlier calls, "Always. One guy called who thought we were a sex hotline."

"Oh, no. You're kidding, right?"

When Oliver laughs, a giggle slips from my mouth as I reply, "Nope. I only tell the truth and nothing but the truth."

"We're not in court."

He laughs harder and I can only imagine what that looks like.

"But I'll keep that in mind."

"Out of curiosity, what colour are your eyes and hair?"

"Um, I guess my eye colour would be considered hazel? I don't really know. My hair is black. Pretty boring."

Awkward laughter fills my ears and I smile, "I don't think that's boring at all. I have blue eyes and I'm brunette at the moment. I used to have red hair but my employer made me dye it due to it being 'unprofessional' and not part of what we 'represent'." I say quietly in case someone is listening, rolling my eyes. 

"Shit, really? No offense but don't you just sit in a cubicle all day, answering calls?"

"Yup."

"Wow, that's ridiculous. You should be able to express yourself in any way you want to."

"Thank you! Finally someone who gets it!" I exclaim a little too loudly and laugh when a few of my co-workers shoot me strange looks, "It's not like my hair colour affects my ability to pick up a phone and give advice."

All of a sudden Oliver sighs.

"Speaking of work, I've gotta go. My shift starts at three."

Glancing at the clock to my left, I see that it's already half past two. "Yeah, you should get going then." I say, biting my lip anxiously.

"Yeah... I'll speak to you soon?"

When he asks this, I hear the hope and mirrored anxiousness in his voice. "Sure. You know how to reach me and you know my referral code."

"6229."

I nod, forgetting that he couldn't see me, "6229." 

"I'll talk to you sometime soon then. Oh and good luck with the weirdos."

He chuckles loudly causing me to flinch a little. "Thanks, I'm gonna need it. Okay, you really need to go."

"I suppose you're right. Goodbye, Macy."

end of call

♡♡♡

AN: Thank you so so so much for 168 reads!!! That really means so much to me!! x I hope you guys are having an awesome day (: