COINCIDENCES & CLICHÉS || The Birthday Shenanigans (part four)

Shock is expressed in every movement of her face.

"Um, just a friend." I insist, grabbing my phone out of her tanned hand, "Thank you very much." My sudden sassy attitude throws her off for a second as her eyes widen.

"Macy..."

Sighing, I give in, "Sorry. Honestly, he's a friend. I met him through work." I fiddle with a loose thread coming from the burgundy blanket covering my legs, unable to look at Ellie.

"I thought you said only creeps and weirdos call?" She questions, eyebrows rising so high that they've almost flown off of her face.

Damn, imagine if eyebrows could fly, that would be so weird.

Anyway, back to reality, Ellie has a point; usually the calls I get are super strange. For example, say that I answer ten calls, only two or three of them would be genuine. Honestly? I'm surprised 'Heartache Hotline' is still running considering we don't get serious calls over half of the time. But I'm happy to tolerate the weird ones in order to help the ones who actually seek advice. Sure, I'm only minoring in Psychology, but if this whole 'wanting to be an Author or Editor' thing doesn't work out, then I want to be a school counselor.

"Most of the time they do. However, sometimes I get calls from people who are actually hurting." I motion towards the 1.5 letre bottle of Coke sitting on the coffee table near Ellie, "Please."

She passes me the bottle and grabs a glass, "Here," she holds my glass for me as I pour the fizzy liquid into it, "I'm guessing 'Ollie' was one of those people?"

Twisting the signature red cap back onto the bottle, I put it down and grab my cup, "Thanks," I smile, "Yeah, he was. He found out his girlfriend of almost five years was cheating on him."

Espresso-coloured orbs stare back at me, dumbfounded, "Mierda, that's creepy on a whole new level." She's completely and utterly correct on that one. It's nice to be able to talk to her about this. Ellie was the one who helped me piece my life back together after what happened with Jay. And trust me, I wasn't exactly easy to deal with. My days were spent with moping and carb binging - which I'm not complaining about.

Mmm, carbs.

I was spiraling big time. I would spend all day in bed, wouldn't go to class. I would barely have the effort to shower most days or brush my hair. I just felt so betrayed, hurt, ugly, and insecure. Being cheated on with an insanely attractive girl really damages ones self-esteem. Mine got crushed into a fine dust. Even now, it's still not the best but it's a lot better, thanks to Ellie.

"Tell me about it," I laugh, "I couldn't believe the coincidence either when he told me. That's probably why I felt an instant connection with him. He kept calling back and instead of talking about his heartache, we would talk about random stuff. Eventually, we just sort of became friends."

"Wow," Ellie breathes, "I know you probably don't want to hear this but that's so cute."

Rolling my eyes, I push her lightly and we both laugh.

"You're right," I admit, "I don't want to hear that."

♡♡♡

AN: Hope you guys liked this! 😊 This chapter is dedicated to rainbow_433! Thank you so much for reading and voting on The Diary of Hazel! I hope you have a wonderful day/night xx love you!

The next update is written in the 'normal' style for this book (dialogue/text). It will be a quick update set the same night as this (her birthday).

I should be updating it within the next few hours if you guys want me to ❤

Then the update after that will FINALLY be the day of the party.

After 'The Birthday Shenanigans' chapters are all completed, we will be nearing the end of the story!

I will have an announcement around that time 😉🤔

- Chloe x

P.S. What is your favourite cliché?