~Chapter 12~

E L S A

I never thought that I’d had ever have the courage to kiss anyone, especially someone like Jake, who made my nerves tingle every time I looked at him. Even though it was a kiss on the cheek, I knew that I’d mustered enough courage to do it and I was pleased with myself.  

I had to admit though; he was a really good trainer. He taught me everything the others had learnt, in less than one month. That was really, really impressive.

After a day went by, Aneira and I were talking about the Ball, everyone was. “Wait, I have a question,” I said. “Why does Pitch allow a Winter Ball if he hates winter?” I asked.

“So basically, the Last Guardian, Jack, is invisible when no one believes that he exists,” she explained. “When we hold a Winter Ball, we’re acknowledging the fact that he’s still alive somewhere, that way, he’s not invisible and people can track him down easily, so we can execute him,” Aneira said, obviously disgusted.

“But why do people hate him? Surely, he’s not that evil?”

“He’s not. Well at least I think he’s not. People will believe what Pitch wants them to believe because he has power and he can kill people who won’t do as he says,” she said bitterly.

“We shouldn’t be talking about this, there’s cameras and stuff around here. We might get into trouble,” I sighed and she face-palmed. “Just pray that they weren’t listening to our conversation,” she groaned and I nodded furiously.

If they overheard us, they could kill us. No. They would kill us.

 We started talking about the Ball again and soon, we headed to our dorm. Once inside, we started chattering about who we were taking and what we would wear. “Who are you taking to the Ball?” I asked Aneira.

“It’s this guy called Daniel; he’s cool,” she said indifferently.

“Who are you taking?” she asked eagerly.

“It’s a surprise,” I laughed and I could practically feel her burn with curiosity.  

She didn’t try to force it out of me and that was good because I didn’t want to tell her…not yet at least. We started discussing our options for clothing. “What are you wearing?” I asked her.

“Something blue…because it’s a Winter Ball,” she laughed and I agreed. Blue and White would look amazing.

We started discussing shoes for the Ball and then pretty soon, we started discussing jewellery. The whole day passed just by deciding clothes and shoes and accessories. Later that night, when everyone was asleep, I went to the training room with Jake and he greeted me politely.

“I’ve been thinking…we need to have a test of how much you’ve learnt over the past month, don’t worry. It’ll be easy and I’ll have it after the dance, okay?” he asked and I smiled.

“Sure,” I replied. “So, what are you going to teach me today?” I asked.

He looked at me sheepishly and looked uncomfortable.

“Actually, I was hoping that you might teach me ­something today,” he sighed. I was puzzled. What would he want to learn from me?

“I want to learn how to dance,” he rushed.

I smirked at him and told him it was okay. He seemed relieved. I told him where to put his hands and how to position his feet so that they wouldn’t step on mine. It was tedious work and Jake really had no idea how to dance. Getting him off my feet was the hardest because he kept stepping on them.

I didn’t mind because he was so adorable when he kept saying sorry. It was the sweetest thing. After we were both tired out, we sat cross-legged on the floor. We were facing each other and talking.

“So, how long have you been a trainer?” I asked him.

“Long enough to know everything about this place,” he laughed and I was lost in thought.

“Jake…I have to tell you something,” I said, feeling brave. I wanted to tell him about my powers.

We were so close; I could feel his soft minty breath on my lips. “What is it?” he asked, leaning in slightly.

“I – just wanted to say that…I think you would be an amazing dance partner,” I held back at the last second. He sighed (in disappointment?) and then leaned back. “Thanks, I think you’ll be a great dance partner too,” he smiled.

“See you tomorrow,” I grinned and left, yawning. On my way out, I thought I heard a noise and I turned around me. There was someone in the shadows. Fear struck me and I ran all the way back to my dorm. I managed to convince myself that there was no one there and I managed to fall asleep.

Hope you like these short chapter, I know it’s a drag to read long ones =_= So yeah ^_^ I decided to update. I know you love me xD Lol jk but thanks for everyone’s kind words ^_^