Episode 47: The Jersey Man-Eater

Warning: This episode features graphic imagery pertaining to blood. It's not too gorey, but it's shown as a part of the story. To any readers who are uncomfortable around the mention of blood, just know reading this episode is optional. You've been warned.

~

July 2, 1916 ~ Beach Haven, New Jersey

The Mayor of Beach Haven was writing a letter when a knock came at his door. "Come in."

The door creaked open. "Sir," a lady's head popped up from behind the door, "there's a woman here who wishes to see you."

"Did she make an appointment?"

"No, sir."

"Hm... Alright. Bring her in here."

The door fully opened, allowing a brunette in clutches to come into the office. Her face appeared composed, yet there was something on her mind that bothered her. Maybe it was the pain in her left leg, having yesterday survived from the jaws of death. If she were a normal human being, her leg would've taken months to recover. Instead, she guessed it would take about a week at most before she could walk again. For now, she would have to make do with a heavy cast and a pair of wooden clutches.

"Thank you for receiving me," said Pennsylvania as she took a seat in front of the mayor's desk.

The mayor gave her a nod of acknowledgement while he continued to write. "What brings you to my office?"

"A complaint," she bluntly stated. "Your judgement to leave the beaches open is a mistake I want you to correct."

"Hm... I understand your concerns regarding the safety of our beaches. However, I won't take action based on your opinion alone."

She scowled. "Sir, let me remind you a citizen from my home died with flesh stripped from his thigh, caused by a sharp-toothed monster that continues to roam off the sandy coast, the same place where your citizens are swimming without a clue as to the cruel terror lurking underneath the water."

"Hm... As horrible as that sounds, I can't imagine a shark ever attacking a person."

"But that's exactly what happened yesterday!" She nearly stood up in frustration.

"Rest assured. This is a one-time incident It won't happen again."

"How do you know that?" she challenged his judgement.

"Ma'am, I understand what you've been through was a horrifying experience. But please understand there are people who rely on this beach to make a profit. This town's economy is based on the beach, hence the town's name. No matter what, I won't let a mere shark sway me or this town. This beach will remain open whether you like it or not."

She breathed out a heated sigh. "I simply wish to prevent anymore people from ending up like me or that unfortunate man. If you're a man of the people, I recommend making their safety a priority."

His face held no emotion to her plea. "... Thank you for taking the time to visit my office. I wish you my deepest condolences on your recovery."

"..." There were many things Pennsylvania could say to him. Yet, she decided to save her breath on other matters. She left the office without another word.

☆☆☆☆☆

July 7, 1916 ~ Atlantic City, New Jersey

"Come on down to the taffy shop, folks! Free samples of salt water taffy to try!" New Jersey passed out samples to people on the boardwalk. "Come in and buy something for your husband, your wife, your kids, your parents, or even yourself! Heck! You deserve a sweet, salty treat!" He made a sly wink at a group of ladies. "Get some taffy and treat yourself today!"