28

Raelyn's POV
2 weeks later

My mother rubbed my back and she turned her body to my direction as she listened to me talk. "Talking to Dr. Ardizonne has helped a bit...but obviously I'm going to have bad days." I explained to her. She had come over again along with my father for the fourth day this week. I appreciated their efforts of trying to be my support pillars and shoulders to cry on.

"That's understandable, Hunny. No one is rushing for your recovery. We just want you to heal." Mother said squeezing my knee. I nodded my head and tightened my robe as I reflected on yesterday. "I'm still having sleepless nights. I fight for my appetite on most days and most evenings I still think about him." I told her. All the while, I stared ahead at the ocean painting on the wall, trying to put myself at ease.

I could feel my mother tense as she knew who I was talking about. My parents knew about it all. They knew of the confrontation with Vincent, the rape, and all else that had to do with him. There was nothing they could do about what happened to me besides listen to what I had to say.

In the past, I never truly grasped why made men kept secrets from their women. Now, I would never question it again. I knew why. I survived what had happened to me, but not without getting blood on my hands first.

"You don't know how it feels mom. I feel so tormented, haunted by Vincent and he's not even here anymore. The things he said to me, what he d-did to me...Father is even trying to convince me into leaving Stefano." I said, my voice cracking mid-sentence. I closed my eyes tight, fighting for a tear not to roll down my cheeks.

I knew my mother felt the same as my father, yet she wouldn't tell me that. "Raelyn...I wish I could make your pain go away. As a mother it's my duty to be here for you so I will be by your side and see you through your recovery. I'm so happy to have you back and I will be here for you every step of the way my dear." My mother held me, bringing me in closer to her.

"Don't mind your father, do what you think is right." She said as well. Her familiar vanilla scent brought me comfort and a reflection of a happier time.

I heard light footsteps coming from up the stairs and looked up to see Romano gazing down at his grandmother and I with curiosity. I gave him the largest smile I could and he took that as a green light to come down and run to me.

He ran with his arms wide, aloof to the despairing aura surrounding me. "Oh, Romano." I said wrapping my arms around his small frame. Mother chuckled at our display. I kissed his head tenderly and squeezed him tight. "Stay adorable like this forever, okay?" I asked, pulling away. He nodded his head quickly and his eyes shone with the light of happiness.

I knew he too was just jovial that he could kiss me and love all over me again.

The sound of the sliding door opened and it was then I remembered that Stefano and my father had stepped outside to talk. The hostility between them was created when I first arrived back home two weeks ago. Father had made it clear to me that if he had known my husband was going to fall short of his promise to protect me, he would have never gone through with my marriage to him.

Of course it was too late for that, so I knew it was up to me to decide if I felt comfortable enough to stay a mob-wife or leave Stefano and draw a new path for myself.

My father immediately made his way towards me and kissed my forehead softly. He looked at my mother and they nodded to each other. He then turned around to look at Stefano who was standing in the center of the living room, eyeing my father with what looked like contempt.

"I leave her in your capable hands." My father said to Stefano. I knew him enough to detect sarcasm. Stefano didn't smile at his comment, knowing it was a jab.