chapter 20

Diana's P.O.V

"That's impossible. I'm not a werewolf and I think I would've known if I was."

"The doctor came closer to the bed. "Miss Diana, I'm afraid that the symptoms are all there. The pain and the fever are just the beginning if you truly are starting to shift."

"She can't be," Noah said, speaking for the first time in five minutes. "I would've known when I met her. If she had a wolf I'd have sensed it."

"Unless the wolf is dormant."

"Dormant? How's that possible?"

"If your wolf doesn't want to be known of then it won't speak to you or trigger the shift."

"No, she's human. She has to be. Isn't there some sort of illness with the same symptoms?"

I winced when the pain in my stomach intensified. I laid my head back down on the pillow and blinked away the tears with clenched teeth. "Make it go away," I cried.

"Doc, she needs morphine."

From the corner of my eye I saw him pull out a needle from his bag. He walked over to my side of my bed holding the morphine. I closed my eyes, never being a fan of needles. I felt the prick and squeezed Noah's hand. He brushed more of my tears with the pad of his thumb and whispered in my ear. "He's almost done and then the pain will go away. We'll find out what's going on when you wake up."

"You want me to sleep? Noah, I just found out that I could be a werewolf."

"Baby, I don't think that's possible. I'd have known if you were." He shook his head before pressing his lips to my forehead. "Do you want anything to help you sleep?"

Hearing the door click I looked to see that everyone had left our bedroom. We were alone, probably to let us talk or they were going to go back to sleep.

I shook my head and sat up. "I want to go to the woods."

"That's crazy! You need to rest. You're sick."

"I could be shifting Noah! I should be in the woods so when it happens I won't be in a house." The morphine was already kicking in. The pain was bearable now.

"Look, I'm not leaving you side and I say you will get some rest. The pack doctor is going to run some tests tomorrow and do some research."

My head sank into the fluffy pillow. "How crazy do I sound? Yeah, there's no way."

"No way what?"

"That I'm like you. It's impossible. I think I would've known and like you said that you would know."

"How's the pain?"

"Bearable, I don't think I can fall back asleep anymore."

"Me neither," Noah admitted. "Do you want to watch a movie?"

I nodded. Maybe watching a movie in bed would distract me from the small ounces of pain I felt here and there. Although it was bearable it was still uncomfortable to deal with. "You can pick out the movie."

Noah left his bedroom and returned a few minutes later with his laptop in one hand and a stack of DVD's in the other. "I went through my sisters romance movies, figured you'd like one of them."

I kissed him when he got settled on the bed next to me. My head was lying on his chest while he put on one of the movies. I told him to surprise me knowing that all Nicolas Sparks books turned movies were great if not wonderful. When the movie started I smiled. Safe Haven was my favorite book and I loved the movie even more.