Chapter 19: Percy Jackson

There was an explosion of white light in the Homestead and I blacked out.

When I came to, I saw I was in a grassy field. It was not the Glade.

"Annabeth?" I called. No answer.

"Annabeth? Annabeth!"

"Percy?"

I stumbled blindy through the field, trying to find her, It couldn't be that hard; It was an open, grassy field with no blushes for trees. I should've been able to find her in two seconds; But I didn't Fortunately, I found her in five seconds.

"What's going on?" She asked, her hand going for her dagger. "What happened?"

I shook my head. "I don't know. We were in the Homestead and I blacked out.

"Where are the others?"

"I don't know."

"We're here!" Said a voice. I turned around to see the rest of the Glader standing there, confused as ever.

"What the hell did you do?" Gally yelled at Annabeth. She didn't flinch. Instead, she lunged forward, tackling Gally to the ground.

"Yes!" Thomas shouted. "That's how it feels!" Everyone looked at him. "Sorry, I'm just a huge fan of this sport."

"I'm not playing any games," Annabeth growled, straddling Gally. She pulled out her dagger and placed it against his throat. "Don't. You. Dare. Say that this is our fault. We're in the same situation as you. We've gone through just as much pain as you have, if not more. You've seen seven of your friends die? I've seen more. How many Grievers have you slain, because I've killed at least ten more monsters than you have, and ever will. You think you're tough? Drew Tanaka has more guts than you, you two-faced-" She continued swearing in Ancient Greek. I winced as she called him a... actually, she called him a lot of things that I do not care to name.

Her colorful language would've made Iris proud.

I pulled Annabeth off Gally just as she slashed at his leg, leaving a long but shallow cut. He let out a strangled cry. I pulled her away before she could do any permanent damage, like kill him.

"Hey, hey, calm down," I whispered as the rest of the Gladers looked at us with worry. Clint and Jeff were tending to Gally's leg, which was bleeding slightly.

Teresa came over to us. "Nice job," she said to Annabeth. "It's about time someone put him in his place. Granted, it would've had to have been a large place to fit his big head."

Annabeth flashed her a disgruntled grin as she put her dagger away.

"So, where to now?" Thomas asked, coming up to us.

"Aren't you the leader? We just got here." I said.

Thomas shook his head. "I couldn't lead these people even with the right tools. At least, not in this place. We were out of our area of experience back there. The way you and Annabeth handled those creatures back in the Glade made you guys look like professionals. We're more like... professional amateurs. Out in the real world, there's nothing the Glade could prepare us for. We'll follow you. It's not about how likable you are, anymore, it's doing what you need to do to survive."

"Gee, thanks," Annabeth said sarcastically.

"Not that, you know, you two aren't likable." He added quickly.

"Suuuuure..."

"Anyways, let's get going."

A few minutes later, we had called order.

"Okay, people, listen up!" Alby called. "I know we're not on top of our game here, but we're going to need leaders. Here, I can't do much. I know many of you," he cast a pointed glance at Gally, who rolled his eyes. "Many of you may not trust these people." He gestured at Annabeth and I. "But their the best chance we have if we're going to survive. So, please, just trust them. Listen to them. Follow them."

Moe whispers and talking.

"Okay. We'll follow you anywhere." Newt said from the crowd.

"Well then. Let's go."

The terrain changed. Instead of a field, we started walking across rolling hills. After what seemed to me like an hour, the heat started getting to me. I was panting, trekking with no water. The uphills weren't making it any easier, either. Beside me, Annabeth was sweating hard.

"You okay?" I muttered.

"Yeah." Came the struggled reply.

The particular hill we were climbing was steep. The grass was starting to thin and the soil underneath was turning to hard-packed dirt. The further we ventured up the hill, the hotter it became. The dirt under our feet became dry and dusty and cracked. Small pebbles and dust rose around our feet, but there was no sign of any water. 

"Hot, isn't it?" Newt rasped from beside me.

I nodded. "It's as if someone cranked up the heater."

"Cranked...." His voice was quiet and a troubled look came over him; I was too weak from dehydration and exhaustion to ask him anything about it.

The top of the hill was nearing, or was that just my imagination. Was I seriously that dehydrated that I had started seeing things? I knew I wasn't when Annabeth nudged my side. "Look, we're almost there. It's only downhill from here."

Normally, I wouldn't want to here those words. I mean, coming from a Greek demigod who's been fighting mythical monsters since the measly age of twelve, I didn't want to hear a metaphor for life going downhill. But for this, I'll make an exception; I just couldn't handle anymore uphills.

When we reached the peak of the slope, I looked down. Instead of the grassy terrain continuing, the bottom of this hill was met with sand, as if we were ants, standing on a large pile of grass a toddler had dumped in the sand pit; All I saw was desert. Desert and rolling sand dunes for miles and miles and miles, as far as eye could see.

"Well, at least that explains the heat," Frypan muttered.

"Yeah, desert in the middle of the grasslands, that explains a whole lot." Annabeth said under her breath.

"We are so not in the Glade anymore." I heard Teresa say to Thomas.

As I looked around, I saw everyone panting, looking across the desert landscape for a water source or an oasis or something.

"Ladies and gentlemen," a voice boomed from nowhere. At first, I thought Zeus was speaking. When there was no thunder following, I decided it wasn't. The voice continued, the next words making my blood run cold:

"Let the seventy-seventh annual Hunger Games commence!"

Somewhere on our right, miles and miles from where we were, but distinctly from our right, a scream sounded; Long, drawn out, pained... and sending shivers down my spine.