Chapter 18: Katniss Everdeen

When I opened my eyes again, I wasn't at Dauntless headquarters. There were no Peacekeepers or Erudite soldiers. Instead, I was in a forest, sitting up. 

All of a sudden, white hot pain shot up my leg. Looking down, I saw a tourniquet around my thigh, which was on fire. Blood seeped through the white fabric, staining it red. It all came back to me; The arrow, the knife, and then... nothing.

I screamed out in agony, knowing that the wound was going to get infected if not treated soon.

"Peeta?" I screamed into the wilderness. "Peeta!"

"Katniss?" I heard his anxious reply come from my left.

"Where is she?" It was Hazel.

Peeta emerged from the bushes with the others close in tow.

"What happened back there?" Gus asked.

"I-I-I don't know." Tris stuttered. She dropped to my side, rummaging through her pack. "Those, what did you call them, the Peacekeepers? You killed them with your... electric grenade arrows. The last one threw a knife into your thigh. Speaking of which," 

Tris pulled out a long white strip of cloth and changed the bandages, which were soaked red with blood. I winced as the metallic smell filled the air. Tris pulled out a match and lit it on a pile of logs sitting about twenty feet away. She then threw the old bandages into the fire, watching them burn. Smoke rose up, wafting through the leafy treetops.

"Well, that's one way to give away our position to anyone else here," Tobias muttered. Tris ignored him and started cleaning my wound. She gathered water from a nearby stream in a small canteen. Peeta gathered herbs and leaves from trees in the vicinity.

"Will these work?" He asked me. I nodded.

I winced in pain as Tris and Peeta started cleaning out the stab wound. When they were done, Tris re-wrapped my thigh. I sighed in relief.

"You okay, now?" Hazel asked.I noticed she was looking on in fear and worry, her brown eyes wide.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good. I'm good." My response was half-hearted and tired. I unsteadily got to my feet, trying to ignore the screaming pain in my leg. Tobias muttered something about getting rest before setting off. I ignored him.

"Okay, now that no one's in any life threatening danger, may I was, where are we?" Peeta asked.

"In a forest, Colonel Clueless." Tobias snapped.

"Thank you, Captain Obvious."

"You're welcome, Sergeant Sarcasm."

"With pleasure, Admiral As-"

Okay, that's enough!" Tris said before things got ugly. "Can we all just get along for the time being and help figure out where the hell we are?"

"Fine." The guys said together.

"Okay, let's walk." Gus suggested. We started walking aimlessly through the forest, searching for a clue as to where we were.

"Where are we?" Peeta asked.

"In a forest, Colonel Clueless." Tobias snapped.

"Thank you, Captain Obvious."

"With pleasure, Sergeant Sarcasm."

"I really appreciate it, Admiral As-"

Okay, that's enough!" Tris said before things got ugly. "Can we all just get along for the time being and help figure out where the hell we are?"

"Fine." The guys said together.

"Okay, let's walk." Gus suggested. We started walking aimlessly through the forest, searching for a clue as to where we were.

"It's an oak forest," I said suddenly.

"And how can you tell?" Tobias said harshly.

I gave him a disgruntled look. "These trees produce acorns, for one. The leaves are lobed and have founded knobs extending from the median line. Lastly, the bark is scaly. Oak trees." I said flatly.  "Right now, we're in my area of expertise, so I'd really appreciate if you don't question me."

"Yeah, sorry." He said quickly. We continued to walk in silence

"How strong are the trees?" Gus asked after a few more minutes of walking.

"Oak trees are pretty strong. They can withstand incredibly strong storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, et cetera. Even without the leaves, their branches are still strong enough to support a large weight, mostly due to their curved shape and strong roots. Why?"

"Well, depending on how tall the trees here grow, it'll give us a good vantage point. Whoever's the best climber could go check out where we are."

"I can climb," I spoke up.

"Not with that leg, you can't." Tobias said, casting a pointed look at my wounded limb. I stuck out my tongue.

"I'm still the best climber we have."

"Um, I climbed up a 196 foot Ferris wheel, once." Tris interjected.

"I still can't believe you made us go all the way up there. And for capture the flag, of all things." Tobias smiled.

"And I still can't believe you're scared of heights." Tris teased.

"You're scared of heights?" Hazel asked mockingly.

"Traitor," Tobias muttered.

"Okay, if you guys are done, let's start climbing now, shall we?" I started climbing before Tobias could object.

"Will she be okay?" I heard Hazel ask.

"Yeah. Yeah, she'll be fine." Peeta answered nervously.

I started my ascent. I reached for the lowest branch, gripping it with one hand and wrapping the other arm around the trunk. Placing my foot on a sturdy gnarl, I simply pulled myself up. On the other side of the tree, I saw Tris do the same.

I climbed higher and higher, swinging from branch to branch. The familiar feeling of exhilaration filled me, the pain in my keg momentarily forgotten. The feeling of being so high up was... wonderful. It reminded me of the times my father had brought me to the woods.

I climbed to the very top of the tree and poked my head through the leafy canopy. From my vantage point, I could see that the landscape was divided equally into five distinct sections: Mountain ranges, grassy plains, forested areas, rolling sand dunes, and the deep blue sea.

"What the," I muttered. I climbed down to share my findings.

"What did you find?" Peeta asked.

"The land's somehow divided into five terrains; Mountains, plains, ocean, desert, and forests. That's where we are." I said, nursing my sore leg.

"The sections right beside us are the desert to our left and the ocean to our right. The plains are on the desert's other side, which leaves the mountains beside the ocean. It's currently day in all five sections." Tris added.

"This whole thing make zero sense." Tris said, exasperated.

"It's impossible to do, natural or synthetic." Hazel added. "At least, not with the technology from our time."

I thought about it, considering every option. Then it hit me. "That's because we're not in your time." I said to Hazel. "And not in your's, either." I directed at Tris. "This type of... Peeta suddenly picked up, sending me a fearful look. I knew my own expression mirrored his.

From nowhere, a voice boomed, "Ladies and gentlemen!"

I was stuck with terror, downright horrified. I knew what was coming.

"Let the seventy-seventh Hunger Games commence!"

My scream was heard for miles.