forty-one

Forty one - Tensions

-

I'm flying away from fire

And I'm running from the known

I see the most beautiful colours here

In a terrifying storm

[London Grammar - Everyone Else]

-

~ p.s. trust me on this, listen to the song as you're reading

"Ophelia, I wasn't expecting you to be here."

I swallowed, finally gaining the courage to look up at the towering figure. "Lord Redwater."

"After all we've been through? Call me Elijah."

Xander stood, staring at Elijah with gritted jaw. I discreetly grabbed his arm to keep him from doing anything. I didn't want them to make a scene at Athalia's wedding. It was her big day. I would've never forgiven myself if we were to ruin it. 

Elijah glanced down at my hand and then at me before sneering. "What would your fiancée say, Xander?" He asked, an awfully wicked smirk playing on his lips.

I glared at Elijah before tugging at Xander's arm once again. Xander swallowed before finally turning away from Elijah and sitting back down.

I reassuringly smiled at him and then squeezed his arm once more before moving my hand away. "Lord Redwater, it's very nice to see you again."

He must've stared at me for a few seconds before scowling. "Just wait until he's married. Ophelia, don't I get a welcome hug? It's been so long."

My palms were starting to sweat and my stomach was churning uncomfortably. All I could think about was going home back to where I knew I was safe. I glanced at Xander once. I could tell he wanted to be away from him just as much as I did. "Of course." I stood. If I had said no, it might've roused suspicion.

He immediately leaned down and hugged me. I closed my eyes when I felt his arms slither around me. Those evil, corrupt arms. His arms felt like ice but made my blood burn from anger. I sat back down when he finally let me go. It felt like an eternity but I endured it anyway.

I noticed some people who were starting to stare at us so I flashed him a small smile to hide the burning hatred coursing through me right at that very moment. I was looking at the man who gave me up to a person trying to forcibly marry me and have his kids. He did it simply because I had turned him down when he confessed his feeling for me. I have a right to hate him after everything he had put me through.

"Oh, look at that." Elijah motioned to the name card on the table. The blood drained from my face. He was assigned to sit next to me. "Ophelia, I'm seated next to you."

"Ophelia, you can take my seat," Xander urged, starting to stand up.

Elijah shook his head. "Oh no, sit down, brother. I have some catching up to do with this young lady anyway." The tone of Elijah's voice was almost threatening but to any other person listening or watching our encounter, it might as well have been as though three friends were catching up.

I frowned as if I had eaten something sour before shifting a little closer to Xander's side. When Elijah sat, I stiffened, inhaling a sharp breath. Elijah seemed to notice this because he immediately grinned slyly.

I was seated in between a very stiff Xander who looked very ready to pounce if anything happened and a relaxed Elijah who seemed to be enjoying this more than he should. God, how much I wanted to throw a fireball at his smug face.