thirty-one

Thirty one - Card Revealed

Genevieve practically had to drag me out of bed when morning came. My eyes were puffy from my lack of sleep. The night before, I had returned back to my room late. When I laid on my bed, I came to a realization that I was very sticky down there and desperately needed to wash up.

I ended up staying under the scalding shower for longer than I had expected, zoning off into my own little world for far too long.

It wasn't until I was lying in bed preparing for sleep that the weight of the whole situation came crashing down on me. The lord of Deathfall was just in between my legs. It almost sounded absurd.

I felt guilty. He had a fiancée, for fuck's sake. They were getting married in less than a month. I wasn't going to deny the fact that I was upset and jealous. It wasn't easy not catching feelings for someone who had treated you with nothing but tenderness and kindness.

But then again, I had to put myself in Sylvia's place. I wondered about how she might feel if she found out that her fiancée was screwing around with another woman right under her nose. I wondered about how heartbroken she could've been.

My mind did wander off from the matter, though, and I started questioning why King Donovan would ask Xander to marry his own niece. Xander clearly didn't have a very clean reputation. If what I heard was true, Xander killed his father. His father had aided King Darius, King Donovan's brother, in wiping out the sorcerers. They were allies. Sure, King Donovan wasn't exactly his brother but it was still strange.

Xander also wasn't a pureblood. I knew half-blood vampires were favoured a little less than the pure-blooded ones. Surely they could've picked someone far more suited and appropriate for Sylvia.

"Good morning, Miss Fawn," Mr Benjamin spoke as he passed by the dining room to go to the backyard. He was carrying gardening tools in a small box and wore a gardening apron.

"Morning," I lazily replied. I didn't mean to be rude. I just wasn't quite in the mood to do anything. I wanted to go back to bed and sleep my way through the day but I knew I had to train with Sebastian.

"Good morning," someone spoke too enthusiastically for my liking.

I gave Sebastian a sleepy nod as he plopped into the seat next to mine. He noticed this and questioningly stared at me.

"What's with you today?"

The servants asked him what he wanted for breakfast and he briefly answered before turning back to me. "You alright?"

"Yeah. Just sleepy."

"Sleepy? What time did you sleep last night?"

I tensed a little bit, mind wandering off to the time I had been lying exposed on Xander's bed with his face between my legs. Just the thought of it made me feel all hot and bothered.

"Not sure. I didn't get that much sleep."

We both had our breakfast and was just about to get ready to go out to train when Xander stepped down the stairs.

He gave me a small smile. "About to go training?" He asked.

Sebastian exited to tell the driver to get the car ready, leaving me to have a moment with Xander.

There was no one around and Xander grabbed my arm and ushered me to a secluded spot that blocked anyone from seeing us.

"How are you feeling?" He asked quietly.

"Alright." I flashed him a smile. I couldn't help but keep thinking that I was staring up at a man who was about to be married to someone else. It made my insides ache but I knew I had to be strong. Everything happens for a reason.