eighteen

Eighteen - Playing With Fire

I was drowning, slowly drifting further away from the light above me. I was drifting from the surface, but I felt at peace. It felt good to know I could walk away from all the problems I had. My lungs burned, but I welcomed the feeling with open arms, embracing it with no intention to let it go.

A dark figure swam toward me. I could not see their face, even when they were right beside me, watching me. Then the figure circled their arm around my waist, and together, we swam up, closer toward the surface, toward the light that glimmered across the water. When we broke the surface I finally woke up, gasping for air.

"Miss Fawn, are you feeling alright?" A frantic voice asked me. Warm hands grabbed my arms, squeezing to comfort me. "Is it a bad dream?"

I looked at Genevieve. There were worried lines etched onto her forehead. She helped me sit up on my bed. I could see that the sky was almost dark through the window.

"Be careful with your back. It's quite scraped and bruised. I will have to change the bandage often so it does not get infected. Fortunately, none of the cuts needed stitches."

"What happened?"

She handed me a cup of water and a white pill. I ignored the blooming pain in my back when I moved my arms to grab them. I assumed it was painkiller and did not question Genevieve as I drank it.

"It seems Mr Charon Pirro had saved you from Lord Deathfall." Her voice was quiet like she didn't really want to admit it.

"What was Lord Deathfall going to do to me?"

"Mr Pirro mentioned he could smell human blood, your blood, from outside of the Deathfall Cave and wanted to see what was wrong. He found Xander just about to... feed."

I watched Genevieve carefully. I could finally remember what had happened before I blacked out. "Who's this Mr Pirro?"

"He comes from a house in alliance with Lord Deathfall. It was a good thing he was there to save you. I made sure Lord Deathfall fed as soon as he returned back from the trip. He looked like a madman. He has locked himself inside his office for hours now."

I rubbed my eyes, trying to process everything that had happened. "Would I have died if Mr Pirro wasn't there to save me?"

Genevieve frowned at my question. "I would think not. Lord Deathfall is not very fond of killing people. Maybe you could've been badly hurt for days, but then again, we cannot assume. Let us move past it and be thankful Mr Pirro had been passing by."

"Is that how he reacts everytime he sees blood?" I was almost afraid of her answer. I didn't want to see Xander as an evil person because I knew, deep down, that he was not. I was afraid I would not be able to convince myself to look past what had happened at the cliff.

"No. This is the first time I have heard Lord Deathfall lost control at the sight of human blood. He has never reacted this way before. Perhaps he was just extremely hungry. Lord Deathfall may be a young vampire, but his self-control when it comes to feeding is extremely high, and I know this from experience. It was odd he reacted that way to your blood."

I nodded. It was the best answer I could've gotten. It was enough for me to know that he hadn't done it intentionally. I remembered the way he had pulled away from me briefly when he saw my bleeding back. He was trying to keep himself under control, but it slipped away just barely.

"You shall take a shower now, and then if you are not too hurt, Mr Pirro is visiting later in the evening if you would like to meet him. It would be appropriate if you thanked him."