twenty-five

Twenty five - Royals

"Sorry, what?" I asked for the hundredth time, not even guilty that I was too engrossed in my own thoughts of what happened in Xander's bedroom to listen to whatever it was that Genevieve was trying to tell me.

She looked at me in the mirror and glared before continuing to brush my hair. "How many times do I have to repeat myself, Ms Fawn?" She scolded.

I sheepishly shrugged and looked at the willow tree in the backyard through the window. It was even more windy than usual and the trees in the forest were swaying back and forth so hard I was sure the roots were going to give out underneath them.

It had only been a day since my incident with Xander in his bedroom. Nothing else happened after he put his finger into my mouth. Thinking back at it, I really shouldn't have done it. The move was extremely bold. There were far more important things to discuss but yet I found myself there sucking ichor scotch from his thumb. After, I immediately fled out of his bedroom without uttering a word, too embarrassed to even speak.

Now I was back to sulking in my bedroom. I wanted to stay as far away from Xander as I could. Not only did he know that I liked my dreams about him more than I should have but he now also knew I was completely obsessed with him.

"I was telling you about Lord Redwater," Genevieve spoke softly.

I turned my head to look at her. She paused her brushing. "What about him?"

"When Lord Deathfall found out Lord Redwater had lied to him he hurried over to Redwater to speak to him. I had never seen him so furious before. When Lord Deathfall came back he looked as if he had just been dragged through the pits of hell. Thankfully, his injuries healed quickly."

I furrowed my eyebrows, cringing when she forced the hairbrush through the tangles in my hair. "But Lord Redwater is still..."

"Yes, he is still a lord." I noticed that Genevieve frowned at this. "During my time here, I have never seen them fight like this. Lord Deathfall scowls at the mention of Lord Redwater's name."

"Does everybody know about it?" I asked quietly, anxious to hear the answer.

"No, not everyone. Some servants are already starting to catch on, though. You do bear a distinct mark on your arm." She pointed to the aching burn on my arm that was still covered with bandage. "Shame, really, that Lord Redwater would do such a horrible thing to you."

I pursed my lips. I was hoping Lord Redwater would resign from his role as a lord but it seems as though he's not going anywhere.

I didn't feel sorry, though, that I had broken up Xander and Elijah's friendship. Elijah was a piece of shit, that was for sure, and Xander definitely didn't need anyone like that in his life. If Elijah hadn't forced himself on me and sent me away to live with the one person Xander told him to protect me from, then they may have still been friends. But then again, that would mean I would still be stuck in Redwater.

"Do not blame yourself for Lord Redwater's betrayal."

I didn't know why but Genevieve didn't seem as cheerful as she usually was. In fact, she had been looking at me with a frown all morning. It wasn't necessarily directed at me. It was as though she knew something bad that I didn't.

"Genevieve, do you have something to tell me?"

She stared at me wide-eyed for a second. "Me? N-no, Ms Fawn. Of course not."

Genevieve finished brushing my hair and then proceeded to braid it into a side braid. I thanked her before she left my bedroom.

"Make sure to go out and get some fresh air, Ms Fawn. It is good for the soul and I know you need it," she spoke one last time before closing the door.