sixty-six

Sixty six- Resurrection

-

Without your love I'll be 

So long and lost, are you missing me?

Is it too late to come on home?

Are all those bridges now old stone? 

[Florence and the Machine- Long and Lost]

-

[ 55 days after the wedding // 8 days after signing the contract ]

Losing Adam, or Haagenti to be more specific, had felt agonising the first few days

Losing Adam, or Haagenti to be more specific, had felt agonising the first few days. It was as though he had once been a drug I was addicted to and I was going through the symptoms of withdrawal. It had been painful, both physically and mentally, and there were days in which I felt too drained to even bring myself to ponder about finding anything relating to Elijah.

At the start of the second week since signing the contract, I finally realised that time was closing in and I still hadn't found anything that would help my case against Elijah. Truthfully, I was on the verge of giving up, but thinking about the possible outcome pushed me to keep going. I had to do it, not for me, but for Xander.

"Again!"

Huffing, I leaned back against a tree, head pounding and skin slick with sweat. "I can't."

Esther shot me a stern glare and it was enough to get me to stand back up and try again. She had seemed like a sweet woman the first time I had met her, but little did I know that the sweet persona she had would quickly vanish and be replaced with a cold and unforgiving one during training. I had to keep reminding myself that Esther had most likely gone through the same rigorous training to get where she was.

"Focus now. Breathe in and go again. You're not failing this time or we're doing this again and again until the sun sets."

Glancing at Esther, I nodded and then trained my gaze ahead, ready for the onslaught of people that would soon appear at the edge of the yard. They were illusions conjured up by Esther and wouldn't truly hurt me, but they looked and felt real and that was enough to get my heart racing.

Mana pulsed through me as I readied myself, eyebrows furrowed and breath rapid due to adrenaline and exhaustion. There was a wisp of smoke, but it quickly dispersed to reveal five men, all dressed in all black and each one holding a weapon of some sort in their hand.

I had barely even begun to process the situation before the group of men was charging at me, weapons held high in the air. Channeling enough mana to sweep two of them off their feet, I swiftly drew more and had just enough to send two more flying backward, albeit rather poorly.

There was one more left, and just as I had started to absorb more mana in, I quickly came to the realisation that there was not enough time. The person was only a few steps away and I had involuntarily given up, ready to accept defeat and another scolding from Esther.