Chapter 23 - In Which Our Characters Are Revealed to be... Really Bad Eggs!

Author's Note:

Thank you to everyone who has made it this far! It really brings joy to my heart when I read a new comment or get a new vote or find out that someone has read the latest chapter. It is awesome knowing that this story has entertained at least a few of you. 

I hope you enjoy this chapter and keep reading to the end of the story. Please vote, comment, and fan! (But only if you feel inclined to. :D)

--------------------------------------------------

I wake up to the sun glaring in my eyes, and my throat filled with water. I flip onto my stomach, coughing, trying to breathe. 

I am laying on warm sand and a single crab stares at me not two feet away and Elizabeth leans against a palm tree, drenched to the bone. 

“It’s about time you woke up.” Jack says, standing over me.

“What happened?” I ask, groggily, pulling myself up into a sitting position. Elizabeth is sitting on the sand a little farther up from the water. 

“You hit your noggin.” Jack replies, “What is it with me having to save both you girls from drowning?” 

I smile, “Thank you Jack.” 

“Don’t thank me, I have only condemned you to starvation on this little island.”

I look out over the sea, the Black Pearl only a dot in the distance.

“That’s the second time I’ve had to watch that man sail away with my ship.” Jack says solemnly and I offer him a consoling smile. 

“Well that’s that.” He says, turning around and heading into the forest.

Elizabeth and I exchange a glance before taking off after him. 

“Why aren’t you planning to get off the island?” I ask Jack once we’ve caught up.

“If you have a plan, enlighten me.” Jack says, not even turning around.

“But you were marooned on this island before, weren’t you? So we can escape in the same way you did then.” Elizabeth says.

Jack turns abruptly to face us, “To what point and purpose, young missy? The Black Pearl is gone and unless you have a rudder and a lot of sails hidden in that bodice, unlikely, young Mr. Turner will be dead long before you can reach him.”

I smirk at Jacks comment, “Who care about Will?” I say earning a glare from Elizabeth. But before she can start an argument I continue, “Right now, we have to take care of ourselves which includes not starving on this island which means we have to get off.”

Jack takes a long look at me before swiveling around and continuing on his trek stopping at a random tree and knocking.