Chapter 10 - In Which Allies are Strangely Made

Author's Note:

Hey! Lucky you, two chapters in the span of four days! I actually started this chapter the second I posted Chapter 9 which is pretty weird considering the fact that I am not feeling really motivated... Anywho, I hope you all had an awesome Christmas! I did, absolutely, I got money to restart horse riding lessons which is AWESOME!! 

Hope you guys enjoy this chapter even though nothing really interesting happens. The next couple chapters is when the fun starts. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking a quick glance around me, I quickly and quietly knock on the door. After a few moments of silence, I start getting anxious.

What if she’s not there? What will I do? I can’t wait for her to return. Will I be forced to stay in Port Royal?

Thankfully, the door opens an inch. A single eye looks through the crack before the door swings completely open.

“Oh, my poor dear! Come in, come in!” Mrs. Pirren says, gathering me in her arms and pulling me into her home.

The house is warm and the scent of freshly baked raisin loafs can be smelled.

“How are you, dear? Are you holding up all right?”

I nod, and blink back a couple tears at the thought of the past couple days.

Why do the tears have to come on now? I ask myself Why now, when I need to be strong?

“I’m all right.” I tell the round soft woman as she gives me another hug. “I am actually hear to ask for a favor.”

Her ears suddenly perked up, Mrs. Pirren shows me to the living room, makes me sit and takes a seat across from me. “What do you need?” She asks, “I will do anything within my power to help.”

I sigh, relieved, knowing that she means everything she says.

“Do you remember around a week and a half ago, when you came to our house for a fitting of the ball gown?” I start, and Mrs. Pirren nods, “We were chatting and you happened to mention a trip you were taking to visit your sister in a small town a few days trip from here.”

“Yes, Delilah’s husband is very sick and he might pass away. He is very old and it wouldn’t surprise anyone if he did. She needs someone to help her and if he does go, I’ll bring her back here. She doesn’t have any children and she is very secluded so she won’t have anyone to miss.”

“Yes, well, I need you to pretend that I’m going with you. You’re leaving to night right?” I ask and when she nods, looking somewhat confused, I continue, “Well, from now till then, try to find any opportunity to tell people that I am accompanying you.”

“Listen, Anna. I not trying to pry but what will you do about your father?”

“Leave that to me.” I reply with a smile.                       

“Annalee, does this have anything to do with the fact that Elizabeth has gone missing?”