Chapter 19 - In Which our Heroine Escapes the Finger-Eating Parrot

Author's Note:

Lucky you! Two chapters in two days. I finished this chapter yesturday but for some reason forgot to post it. I hope you all like it. From this chapter forward, the story will follow the plot of the movie a bit more. And the action starts. :D

As always, Comment, Vote, Fan!!!

------------------------

Jack keeps me so busy for the next day or so that I have no time whatsoever to think of anything but catching up to the Black Pearl and Barbossa, the pirate that took Elizabeth. 

I appreciate the lack of time to think of things such as Thomas and Greaves but some of the work that Jack has me doing is plain ridiculous.

“Sweep the deck.” Jack says, almost dropping the bottle of rum in his hands as the rough waters pitch the Interceptor forward. 

“Jack, the deck is sopping wet.”

“Then mop it.”

“The deck is as clean as it will ever be. Besides, three of your crew have already done so.”

“Then you can feed the parrot.”

“And risk the chance of losing a finger. I would rather not.”

“A finger won’t be the only thing you risk losing if you don’t shape up and find something useful to do!” Jack says exasperated, before being thrown to the floor as a particularly large wave hits the side of the boat.

“I don’t know why you drink so much rum when you are on deck.” I say, mostly to myself, “It is almost as if you want to have an affair with the ground.”

All of a sudden, the waters quiet and the boat drifts peacefully into a dark lagoon.

Jack leaps to his feet and chuckles, “We are almost there.” He says before rushing to the top deck.

Seeing most of the crew rushing for the side of the boat, I find a place beside Will and Gibbs, the woman hater. The waters are covered with wrecks strew everywhere. 

“Puts a chill in the bones how many honest sailors have been claimed by this passage.” Gibbs says into the silence. 

Will however, isn’t paying much attention. I turn to see what he is looking at and watch as Jack quickly snaps his compass shut when he realizes that Cotton, the man who owns the parrot and is unable to speak , stares at him too much.

“How is it that Jack came by that compass?” Will asks. 

“Not a lot’s known about Jack Sparrow before he showed up in Tortuga with a mind to go after the treasure of the Isla de Muerta.” Gibbs replies. 

“Wait. Treasure?” 

“Jack hasn’t told you?” Gibbs replies, “I may not like having a female on board this ship but I believe that you deserve all the information.”

I lean forward, waiting for the story.

“The Isla de Muerta, the Island of Dead, is a natural fortress that holds treasure of many shapes, and forms. From silver statues to silver crowns, to gowns of silk and jars of spice. None has seen true wealth till their eyes have beheld the wonders of the Isla de Muerta. Anyways, the treasure belonged to the infamous Cortez. Have you heard of him?”

I nod my head, “I learned that in my history lesson.” 

Gibbs looks at me quizzically before continuing his tale, “The pride of all of the treasure was the Aztec gold pieces. Eight-hundred and two identical gold coins were delivered in a stone chest to Cortez by the Aztecs. A payment, a plea, to end the slaughter he had started of their people with his great armies. However, this was not enough. Cortez was unable to be satisfied and the persecution. So the heathen gods of the Aztecs placed a horrible curse on the gold pieces. Any mortal that takes even a single golden piece from that chest of rock shall be terribly punished for all eternity.”