Chapter 18 - In Which our Heroine Gets a Shot of Loneliness

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait everyone. I thank you for being so patient and sticking by me even when the stickiness was almost gone. I hope you enjoy the following chapter. I will try to update more regularly but with school having started, I don't exaclty know how much time I will actually have to work on my stories. I also have another story (Other than Stones) that I am planning to write but I will only start posting the chapters once THSAS is finished. However, I will probably post a description of it one of these weeks. :) No more fan-fictions, this new story is a historical fiction/romance that takes place during one of history's most infamous tragedies.

I hope you all like this chapter and please, Comment/Vote/Fan! 

-----------------------------

The next morning, I find Thomas by the railing of the ship. My nightgown still on, I wrap my shawl tightly around my shoulders. My bare feet quiver at the cold of the wet wood from the light rain we had during the night. I push as much hair as possible behind my ears only to have it whip back into my face seconds later.

My eyes, red and puffy, and my voice promising to quiver, I walk over to Thomas’ side. 

He doesn’t acknowledge my presence, but keeps on staring out over the large empty sea. 

“Hello.” I say, after a few moments of what seems to be a peaceful silence.

“What more do you want?” The anger and hatred in his voice is apparent, and takes me completely by surprise. His cheeks are dry, yet his eyes are red. He must have cried last night as I was sleeping. 

“I don’t know what you mean.” I answer nervously, unsure as to what to expect. 

He turns sharply towards me, a scowl on his face. His blond curls fall messily onto his forehead, only contributing to his maddened look.

“Yes, you do.” He sneers with utter disgust before turning to leave.

I grab his arm before he can get too far and swing him back to face me.

“No, I don’t.” I state firmly.

Thomas wrenches his arm from my grip before leaning in close to me, his face not three inches from mine. “You took Greaves.” He hisses through his teeth, his eyes dark his face etched into an angry frown, “What more do you expect to be given?”

I pull back from his intense gaze,  flabbergasted. “Wha-? Are you actually blaming me for what happened to Greaves? You heard what the doctor said, it was probably some type of poisoning.” My confusion quickly turns into anger and my defences immediately go up, “Besides, it was Greaves’ idea to go and find Elizabeth in the first place!” My anger is burning high and I can almost feel smoke coming out of my ears. 

“If you hadn’t snuck into the cave all those years ago, he wouldn’t have met you and would still be living peacefully!” Thomas retorts, his self-control completely abandoning him. 

“That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard! And oh, as if you ever wanted me to stay away! If I remember correctly, you are the one that deliberately disobeyed Greaves and lied to everyone in order to attend my coming out ball!”

“I was blinded by infatuation!” Thomas protests. “I was young and stupid.”

“That was barely a month ago!” 

“Well, lets just say that you grow up quite a bit when you are manipulated and tricked and then have everything you love ripped away from you.”

“Manipulated?” I am utterly furious, “Tricked? You, sir, do not have your facts straight. I didn’t ‘manipulate’ you into helping me. I did not ‘trick’ Greaves into coming up with the plan. If anything, it was you and Greaves who manipulated me into lying to my father and leaving my home only so that you could have an ‘adventure’.”