Chapter 20 - In Which We Encounter "The Smell"

Author's Note:

Are you guys getting spoiled or what?! Two chapters in a single day. I am really on a role. I know that my updates are really inconsistant but I felt really bad about not posting anything all summer. I hope you guys are enjoying this treat and I will hopefully get another chapter out by the end of the weekend. If not... then eventually. 

Hope you enjoy Chapter 20! :D

-------------------------------

“Gentlemen!” Barbossa calls in the large crowd of pirates. Even from up here, I can see every scar, smell every rank smell. And there is a lot of rankness to smell. “The time has come! Our salvation is nigh! Our torment is near at end!”

“Elizabeth.” Will says, finally spotting her. She is dressed in a dark burgundy dress that exposes such skin that would have Father passing out.

Barbossa continues his tirade, “For ten years we’ve been tested and tried.” 

“Really?” I whisper to Jack, grinning and giddy at having finally reached out goal, “I couldn’t tell through all the dirt and wounds and the smell... oh the smell!”

Jack grins back.

“And each man jack of you here has proved his mettle a hundred times over and a hundred times again!” Barbossa says as a cheer rises from the dozens of figures below. “Punished, we were, the lot of us-disproportionate to our crimes!” He kicks off the stone chest’s lid revealing the blinding gold pieces of Cortez, “The cursed treasure of Cortez’ himself. Every last piece that went astray, we have returned! Save for this.” He says, pointing to the last coin, being used as a medallion around Elizabeth’s neck.

“Jack!” Will hisses, scrambling up trying to get to my sister, upsetting some of the treasure as well.

“No yet.” Jack replies, yanking him back to the ground. “We wait for the opportune moment.

Barbossa’s voice rises again, “Eight hundred and one we found but despaired of ever finding the last.

“When’s that?” Will argues, upset at being restrained, “When it’s of greatest profit to you?”

“May I ask you something?” Jack says, trying to calm Will down, “Have I ever given you reason not to trust me? Do us a favor? I know it’s difficult for you, but please stay here and try not to do anything stupid.” He gets to his feet, “Both of you.” He finishes before turning around and walking back the way we came.

Will follows him after a few moments but I don’t dare move. I don’t dare let Elizabeth out of my sight.

“And who among us has paid the blood sacrifice owed to the heathen gods?” Barbossa calls out to his men. 

“Us!” I deafening cry rises from the crowd.

“And whose blood must yet be paid?” He asks.

“Hers!” They respond.