Chapter XXIX

Twenty-Nine

I NEVER REALLY noticed how uncomfortable Logan was when we were flying until now. He was gripping so hard on the handle on the ceiling that his knuckles were white. He would look out the window and then shut his eyes tightly.

        "Logan, it's alright. I've flown a plane before." I forgot to mention that it was over ten years ago, but I still flew one.

        "I don't care," he said through gritted teeth. "I don't like flying."

        "We'll be landing sooner than you think."

        I looked at the sky. "See, the thing about flying is that you don't have to worry about traffic. Just the occasional plane or two, but we aren't high enough for big planes."

        "What about little planes?"

        I pressed a button on the screen. "We've got a radar. It'll go off if there's one coming in our direction."

        Jean leaned forward. "Logan, relax. You'll strain yourself or something. We don't need something bad happening to you, too."

        I suddenly thought of what the Professor had said. I looked at Logan. I wanted to know if the Professor was right, but I wasn't going to just ask him or anything.

(X)

We arrived around the general area of where Oscar should be. I tried to search for him using powers; Jean was doing the same. As for the others, they were looking out the windows cautiously in case "trouble" comes to us.

        I couldn't sense him as much as I tried. And that was probably just it.

        Maybe I was trying too hard.

        I relaxed my shoulders and closed my eyes. Think, Andi.

        Then I felt a tremor inside of me. I could smell Oscar's shampoo. I could hear his heart beat. I could hear his thoughts running through mine.

        I opened my eyes. "I've found him. He's not far." I opened the door.

        Logan looked at me, and I knew what he was thinking without reading his mind.

        I shook my head. "Stay put, Logan. I can do this alone. If Jean senses anything, or if you smell danger, find me. I'm going north west." I shut the door and walked away.

        I wanted to do this on my own. He's my brother.

        I walked a quarter mile, and his sense was stronger. He was right where I walked. I looked up at the trees; he could be hiding up in them.

        But then it occurred to me he can turn invisible.

        "Oscar?" I said softly, but it echoed.

        No response came back.

        I sighed and sat down on the ground. "I know you're here, Oscar. Please show yourself. We need you." I paused. "I need you."

        There was still no response.

        "Please." I couldn't help myself; hot tears were streaming down my cheeks. "Oscar, please. You're the only family I've got left. We gotta stick together. I'm aware you don't wanna see me. The war is going to get worse if we don't move now. I know you know what will happen. And I know you need me. So please come back."

        I heard footsteps. Then I felt something drop in front of me. Oscar appeared. He was covered in bruises and scars. He leaned himself against me. I wrapped my arms around him. "What happened to you?!"