Chapter III

Three

THAT FOLLOWING MORNING, I woke to see Logan asleep next to me. I didn't bother to wake him; he looked tired even in sleep. I think last night's situation bothered him. I know it bothered me.

    Picturing the dream again hurt my chest. I could feel the burning from when they set me on fire to destroy me. I was getting hot. I took off my pajamas. I pulled off the garters and carefully set them inside my closet. I wrapped a towel around my body and headed for my shower.

     As I took my shower, I still couldn't get the image of the dream out of my head. I didn't like this at all. I wanted it out.

     "Hey, kid!" I heard Logan shout from outside the door.

    I stopped the shower so I could hear him. "What?"

    "I'm going to my room to change. Meet me in the gardens. We're practicing your telekinesis."

    "Alright." I turned back on the shower, letting the heat burn my skin. It relaxed the tension in my shoulders, which made me feel better.

    I finished my shower and put on lace mid-thigh shorts and a white tank top. I grabbed my black high top Converse and put them on. I pulled my hair up into a hair tie, French braiding my bangs. I looked around for my glasses; I was feeling a bit lazy on wearing contacts today. They're the nerdy kind, and "completely out of style" (Claire's words). I rocked them, so I wear them when I want.

    I headed out of my room, grabbing my phone on the way. I had a message.

From: Logan

How long does it take to look pretty? C'mon. The quicker we start this, the earlier we get out and do what we want.

To: Logan

I'm coming, your Majesty.

   Outside, the younger kids were playing freeze tag. I smiled, remembering that I used to play freeze tag with my brother and our neighborhood friends. That was when everything was okay.

     Logan was standing next to a table with Frisbees. "Professor X said this helped Jean and Scott both when he taught her. I hope this helps you."

     I smiled. "I've done these before. Don't worry."

    He spread them out. "I'm going to throw them to you. Not just a cute little toss either. I'm going to throw hard. And when they start spinning, blades will come out. You have to stop them, or they'll hurt you. We'll start one at a time at first. Okay, kid?"

     I felt the tension come back in my shoulders. I've never done anything like this. It's worth a shot, though. And I know Logan would never intentionally hurt me.

    I nodded, taking a stance. "Ready," I confirmed.

     He nodded, picking up a Frisbee. "Good luck." Then he threw it.

     Like he said, blade came out as the Frisbee spun. I held out my hands and concentrated hard. There wasn't much time before I would get pelted and stabbed. I stopped the Frisbee. I dropped it on the ground, and the blades went back inside the Frisbee.

    Logan smiled. "Good job, kid. You are strong."

    I forced out a smile, waiting for the next one. He threw one at a time until I learned to stop as soon as he let go. Then he started throwing two. One right after the other. This made me nervous; I could feel the adrenaline pumping through my blood.