Chapter XIX

Nineteen

WE'D BEEN OUT in the woods for a whole week, and food was beginning to become scarce in the trunk. I liked being out in the woods, but let's face it: I would really love a proper bathroom and a refrigerator.

     "Logan," I begged, "please can we go into town?"

     Oscar sat up straight. He was trying to take a nap, but this made him talk. "Yeah, we need to get supplies and use a shower. Not that the river's great or anything...."

     Logan pulled out the cigar from his mouth and puffed out smoke. "Fine," he stood up. "We need to find car chargers anyways. Some of the people who don't want to potentially harm us might want to talk to us."

     I knew who he was talking about. Claire had messaged and called so much that my phone had died. I have a charger, but you need an outlet in order for it to actually charge.

     "We also need gas," Oscar said.

    Logan put out the fire and said, "Alright. Get in the car."

(X)

Shortview was a small town not too far away. It was pretty secluded, so one could find us. There was one gas station, and it was also the gorcery store. The population was 583, and that was from thirty years ago. People have clearly moved away.

     Logan grabbed three plastic baskets. He handed one to Oscar and two to me. "Fill 'em up," he said. "I'm going to fill up the car and by some cigars." He walked away.

     "Oscar, you get the non-edible supplies," I said. "I think you'd pick out the wrong foods."

    He frowned. "Fine...."

    I walked around and picked up chips, canned goods, water, bread, et cetera. I decided to treat Oscar with Starbursts, his favorite candy. I bought Logan beer, too, just because I'm nice.

    Oscar and I finished and paid for everything. Then we put the things away and headed for the showers. They were typically used for truckers, but since the town was off the maps, the gas station lady didn't care.

     There were only two showers, so Logan said he'd wait and go after Oscar and I finished. I also figured that he wanted to keep an eye on me.

    I showered for about twenty minutes. I felt like I hadn't showered for ages. My legs looked and felt like Chewbacca's hair. I had to shave.

     Oscar only took five minutes, but Logan said he'd go in after I got out.

     I started singing in the shower, forgetting that both Logan and Oscar were waiting on me.

     After twenty minutes, I turned off the shower and wrapped a towel around my body. I realized that I left my clothes out on the bench.

     Heading out, I avoided eye contact with my brother. Though I was covered up, I still felt self conscious knowing that he was there. My brother shouldn't see me with no clothes on.

     Logan stood up, my clothes in his hand. "I wanted to come and give you them, but I didn't want you to freak out."

    I smiled. "Thanks."

      I headed back to the shower and put on my clothes. I heard Logan head into the other shower, I jumped up onto the wall.

    He looked up. "Usually guys do this to girls," he commented softly, taking off his clothes. "What's up?"

    "I just wanted to say thanks," I smiled.

     "For what?"

     "For letting us come here. For protecting me."