Chapter VII

Seven

WE FOUGHT FOR a very long time, but soon we had gotten them all. We had lost some of our own, but none of the main X-Men. Claire was in the medical room, though. She was burnt badly by a mutant called Pyro. Bobby said he was one of us before, but he was captured five years ago. I didn't even know who he was when I came here.

     Jamie stayed with Claire while she was there, and she started to see him as more than just a close friend. That made me pleased because I knew that Jamie had liked her for a very long time.

     I mourned for my brother, even though he deserved his death. He wasn't himself anymore. He was brainwashed so badly that the Casey I knew, or the Casey that was left in him, was barely there anymore. He had become a government pet.

     After a week, most of the students were fine and back to doing whatever they do over the summer. I stayed in my room for most of the week to get my rest and strength back. My neck was very sore, but Bobby iced it whenever I asked.

     "Andi?" There was a knock on the door. "You in there?" It was Logan.

     "Yeah, come in," I said. I was reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green for the millionth time when Logan came in.

     "I came to check on you. I've been told that you only come out for meals and that's it. I wondered where you've been."

     I shrugged, putting down TFIOS on my night stand. "Just in here. I've wanted to be alone for awhile."

     He nodded. "We've been questioning Mystique. She said that Magneto is located on an island, the place where you and Claire were headed. She doesn't know when -"

    "Please," I stopped him. "I don't want to hear this. I'm sorry. I've got enough on my mind. I've been considering going to see my family, Logan. My parents are divorced. I want to know the situation. I want to see my baby brother."

     "This is new," Logan's eyes widened. "I didn't hink you'd want to go and see your family ever again."

     "I don't, but it's for the best. I think someone should tell them that Casey's dead."

    He nodded. "I'll go with you."

     I half smiled. "You don't have to go everywhere I go, Logan. It's okay. I'm not that weak twelve-year-old you met ten years ago. I'm strong and can handle myself. I think the school needs you more than I do, too."

    He sighed. "You're right. I'm just worried about you going alone."

     "I'll have my phone with me, don't worry. I'll text you if something bad happens. I bought a train ticket online yesterday. The train leaves this evening, but I was still deciding."

     He nodded. "Go," he told me. "You need to see them. Can I drop you off at the train station at least?"

     I nodded. "Yeah, that's fine." I stood up and packed a bag.

     We went to garage, and Logan took Scott's bike. "He'll forgive me," he said. He lit a cigar and put it in his mouth.

     I coughed. "Do you have to smoke that thing?"

     "Yes."

     And then we were off.

(X)

When we got to the station, he walked me to the train then hugged me goodbye. "Stay out of trouble," he told me.

     I smiled. "I can't resist trouble, Logan." I laughed.