t w e l v e

Aberdeen Washington, 1987October 10th

October 10th

Meadow woke up aching all over from running around the night before. She had went on a run with Presley and ever since then she's felt out of body. She laid back down in hopes that the pain would just fade if she stayed still, but it only made her cramp up more.

She groaned and tried to pull herself to sit up. Blair came in, concern taking over her face.

"You've been groaning like that all morning and last night, what's going on?"

"I went on a run with Pres yesterday and ever since then my whole body just keeps turning on me. I told her that I don't run and she just made it sound so appealing." Blair laughed.

"Yeah, she's always had a knack for making rigorous things sound so exotic and fun," Blair paused, "Asshole." They laughed until Meadow felt a sharp pain in the side of her stomach. She went to stand up, gasped and fell down. Everything went b l a c k.

//

Grays Harbor Community Hospital
Aberdeen Washington
October 10th

After Meadow had stood up at her house, a cramp cut her off. She screamed due to the excruciating pain, it felt like someone was stabbing her repeatedly in the side. Blair drove her to the hospital immediately and let them take Meadow to the closest room.

Afterwards, Blair called Presley and the rest of the gang to let them know where they were and what was going on. Now here we are with everyone rallying into the hospital lobby asking questions and demanding the answers. Kurt ran up to Blair with tears staining his eyes.

"Where is she?" He asked shakily.

"Room 220, they say that she ruptured something. I never knew about it, and I should've."

"It's my fault, I took her on that stupid run. If I had known-"

"Pres, how could you have known? None of us did."

Presley walked up to give Blair a hug while Kurt was sitting down crying with Krist comforting him.

"The family of Meadow Van-Deely?" They all stood up hurrying over to the doctor.

"Yes, she'll be okay. It seems pressure was being put on her appendix and that's what was causing her discomfort. She's in the room if you would like to see her, two at a time."

"Thank you doctor." Blair smiled at him and walked in with Presley.

Shelli went off to the bathroom and Krist went up to Kurt.

"Hey, you okay?"

"I don't know, the thought of her even having the slightest bit of discomfort or pain makes me feel emetic and uneasy. I always want her to be okay, you know? It's just- feelings fucking suck."

"Kurt, it's okay to have feelings man. Shelli made me start to notice mine and I would do anything for her, you know that. Liking someone will do that to you, wanting the best for someone will do that to you, you think it's your duty to make sure she's okay at all times. That's fine man, it doesn't make you a wuss because you can mess around and cry about shit like that."

Kurt looked up at Krist with tears still in his eyes.

"So you don't think I'm a wuss for crying?"

"Are you crazy? If anything, I'm proud of you. I haven't seen you cry in months."

"Thank you dude, really I appreciate you."

"Its all in the name of good friendship." He held him until Blair and Pres made their way out of Meadow's room laughing.

Kurt hopped up and ran into the room, Krist following close behind.

They entered the room and Meadow looked pale compared to her usual toffee skin, her emerald green eyes now grayish, and it looked like she hadn't eaten in a while. She looked away from the T.V. and locked eyes with Kurt.

"Cobain, you came! I see you brought your trusty sidekick Krist as well."

"Hey! I am not the sidekick, I'm more of a green giant. Don't be a bitch this early Meadow."

"Just because I'm hooked to an I.V. doesn't mean I won't kick your ass if you keep talking."

"I'd like to see you try." She smirked.

"You really want to contradict yourself right now?"

"You didn't even hear me correctly, I said I want to go and cry seeing you like this."

"Just can it dumbass."

She smiled laughing weakly and motioned for Kurt to come sit in the chair beside her.

"Hey, I'm gonna head out and try and find Shelli. I'll stop by again Mea, feel better sis." He kissed her head, hugged Kurt and walked out.

"Thanks for coming."

"Don't even worry about that, I'm just glad you're alright." She smiled and tugged herself up to kiss him on the cheek.

"You still look beautiful for someone that had their appendix burst." She smiled at Kurt.

"Don't even, I look like a pile of shit. Thank you anyway."

"Have you been crying?" He quickly wiped his eyes laughing nervously.

"Crying, oh please."

"I'm sorry, I forgot how macho you were."

"No, never that word. Just too cool to cry." They laughed and he grabbed her hand suddenly prompting her to make eye contact with him.

"How long have you known there was something wrong?"

"It's not a big-"

"Meadow, please don't beat around the bush. Just tell me." She sighed and gave in.

"For about six months now, but the pain was on and off. It was never something I worried about because it would come and then go, and I didn't want to tell you because I knew you'd freak. It's nothing to worry about-"

"It's nothing to worry about? So why am I having to see you like this? Meadow, you could've just told me."

"No I couldn't because I knew this would be the outcome! You don't fucking get it, I wanted to protect you from beating yourself up thinking you could help me. You can't always help me, that's not how this life thing works." They held eye contact until Kurt stood up.

"You know, I just wanted to check up on you. I guess you don't really need it, do you?"

"Kurt-" Before she could say anything, he closed the door behind him. Presley was laughing with Blair when he stormed out past them. She ran into Meadow's room to find her crying.

"Hey, what happened? Why did Kurt leave like that?"

"Because I can't seem to keep my stupid mouth shut."