s i x t e e n

Aberdeen Washington, 1987October 20thMeadow's house

October 20th
Meadow's house

Meadow woke up to "Disorder" by Joy Division blaring in her living room. She shuffled to her feet and managed to get to the top of the stairs. Blair was (d̷a̶n̵c̸i̷n̶g̶) cleaning with Presley. They had their backs turned to Meadow, it seemed as if they were conducting a dance routine with the song.

"Okay so when I put my foot here, put your right arm up." Presley demonstrated it and Blair did the exact same thing.

"That's it! Okay, now we can restart the song." Presley turned around to restart the C.D. and saw Meadow. She immediately grabbed the broom that was laying on the couch next to her and started sweeping up.

"No no, don't worry Pres. You have all the right in the world to dance, especially when it's Joy Division."

"No, I don't dance. I...I was just showing Blair the old dance I used to have for it." Meadow stared at her waiting for her real response.

"Okay, but can you blame me? Joy Division is a blessing." Meadow laughed.

"No, I don't blame you. Play it again, I wanna join." She ran down the stairs and stood next to Blair.

"G'morning Mea." Blair swooped in to give her a side hug.

"Morning B." Presley restarted the song and they spent the next forty-five minutes trying to show Meadow the simple parts of the dance. They laughed and just had fun with it: simple times.

~

Still at Meadow's house
Kurt, Krist, and Dave show up.

"We have arrived! We know, we know. You guys have missed us so dear-."

"Krist shut up, and close the front door."

"Presley," Krist gasped, "I'm extremely hurt, that was the final dagger in my heart." He threw himself on the floor and began to gasp for air.

"So damn dramatic," Kurt walked over him laughing and made his way over to Meadow.

"Morning." He smiled hugely at her and she did the same. For the past couple of weeks and especially now after the gig, Meadow and Kurt have been trying to determine what they really meant to each other. It was obvious they both loved the others company, but they really wanted to find out where it was going. For now it's just going steady.

"Good morning, how'd you sleep?"

"If I'm being honest not that great, but it wasn't anything serious." Dave looked up from the couch and stood up. Kurt's back problems were prominent, but there were nights when it would get extremely excruciating. Last night was one of those.

"Meadow, he's having back problems again." She turned to look at Kurt with concern washing over her face for what seemed to be the thousandth time that week.

"Come on." She grabbed his arm and guided him upstairs to her room. Krist looked stunned, but started laughing right after.

"Maybe I should tell Shelli my back hurts more often." They all laughed and Presley threw a pillow his way.

"Don't be such a creep, she's probably just gonna give him one of her life affirming pep talks." Dave spoke up, "You know I don't get it with them, we all see how they look at each other yet they still aren't together."

"Well, sometimes people just want to take things slow. Everything isn't always a ceremony." Dave smiled at Presley and the group resumed their movie in the living room.

~

Meadow walked in and closed the door behind her. Kurt made his way over to her bed and he sat criss cross at the edge of her pillows. She sat across from him trying to study what he could be thinking through. Did he think she was going to yell? Was he disappointed that he didn't just tell her?

"When did your back start acting up again?"

"Right after the gig, it would transport all over my back. Sometimes my lower back or the middle and then back all over again."

"You don't have any medicine at all? Maybe something to subdue it, if not I can take you to the doctor."

"It's just like your appendix pains M, the pain comes and then it subsides again. It's nothing I can't handle. Can we switch off this subject for a while?" Kurt was a fan of switching subjects of things that he thought didn't matter. If someone was talking about something that made him feel uncomfortable, he would immediately hop off the topic.

"Y...Yeah, I guess." Kurt could sense that she was still deeply concerned about his back, so he grabbed her hands to enstill some calmness in her. "M, I promise you that I'm okay. Come here." He pulled her in to his chest and they laid back on her bed. Every now and then, Kurt would run his thumb up and down her shoulder.

"Meadow, I wanna take you on a date." She shot up from his chest and was now face to face with him again.

"A date? You don't strike me as the type at all." Kurt laughed, "I know, but I want to take you to dinner. My aunt and uncle will be stoked, so they'll lend me some money. One of those dates where you get dressed up and so do I."

Meadow felt her toffee cheeks heat up and her hands immediately went to cup them. Kurt had already noticed, "Did I get someone to blush?" She quickly turned around, "No, it's just hot in my room Kurt."

He smiled and quietly got off the bed to see Meadow's face. She looked up and squealed trying to turn the other way again, but Kurt grabbed her arms and she was stuck. "Let me see that gorgeous face of yours."

She slowly took her hands off her face and she was close to a bright red. Kurt bursted out in laughter and fell over. She threw a pillow at him on the ground and went right back to covering her face.

"See! I knew you would laugh." She laughed lightly and laid back down on the bed. Kurt eventually caught his breath and hopped back on the bed.

"Okay seriously, let me see you."

"You're gonna laugh again."

"I promise I won't." Meadow obliged and let her hands slip away from her face. It was calming down, so it wasn't as red.

"There you are." Kurt grabbed her hand and asked again, "So is that a yes for the date?" Meadow laughed, "Definitely, so when is it?" "Tomorrow, I'll pick you up here around 6. Wear a dress or something, well whatever you wear will look amazing on you."

"You just want me to get heated again." Kurt laughed, "Is it that obvious?" She lightly hit his arm and they moved to the floor to listen to some new records that Meadow had bought a couple days before.