14

"ugh hello?" richie looked over to the clock on his night stand. 7:17 am.

"richie?" eddies voice was small and empty, void of any emotion, though richie knew that eddie was upset. there was no other reason for him to call this early in the morning.

"hey, ed's. hi. what's up?" richie sat up in his bed, reaching for his glasses. he put them on his face and ran a hand through his hair.

"did i wake you up?"

"yeah, but it's not that big of a deal. what's going on?" he heard eddie take a deep breath, and clear his throat.

"i-i um, my mom got a call. she, she got a call this morning." richie stayed silent, waiting for eddie to continue. the line stayed silent for a while, long enough for richie to check to see if eddie was still there.

"ed's?"

"she said something a while ago about wanting to take him to court for not paying child support, but i didn't think that she was serious. she said that he was angry about it, and that he didn't want to pay." eddies voice was quiet. almost nonexistent. richie barely breathed in fear of it being too loud, he didn't want to miss a single thing. he didn't want eddie to have to repeat himself.

"okay? so she's taking him to court?" that was the only logical answer but it didn't explain why eddie would be upset. maybe it was due to the fact that he had to see his dad again? but he didn't necessarily have to go.

"no."

"no?"

"no."

"then what?"

"he's taking her to court, to get custody of me. he thinks that if he wins that he won't have to pay it."

oh.

oh.

"oh."

"yeah."

"but he can't do that right? like he can't? because he hasn't seen you since you were little?"

"i don't know."

"well shit, ed's. doesn't he live in like massachusetts or something?"

"yeah."

"fuck."