15

"wait, if he doesn't even want to pay child support, how is he going to take you to court for custody of him?" the taut lady shrugged, wiping the kitchen counter down with a wet wipe.

it was 7:45 in the morning, and richie was sitting on sonia kaspbrak's couch. she had politely asked him if he'd like a glass of tea, because she had just put the kettle on. he accepted, knowing that she'd probably just bring it to him if he said no, anyways. eddie refused to leave his room. that's what sonia said when richie arrived.

when richie was woken up by the sound of his phone, no longer than half an hour ago, and when he heard how upset eddie was, he knew that he had to get up and out as fast as he possibly could.

"richie, if you'd like, you can go upstairs and try to get him out. i'm sure that you didn't come all the way here to hangout with me." sonia called from the kitchen. richie stood, and walked to the stairs.

"ma'am, spending time with you is always lovely," richie said in a awful british accent, making sonia laugh aloud. at least someone appreciated his british accent.

richie didn't waste time running up the stairs and knocking on eddies door.

"ed's?" richies voice was quiet, soft. there wasn't a sound from inside the room. richie knocked lightly, and there still was nothing.

"eddie?" richie stood there for a couple minutes, there was no noise save the faint sound of the kettle going in the kitchen. richie didn't want to go back downstairs and have more awkward small talk with eddies mother, though she was a gorgeous woman, inside and out. right when richie was about to give up, he heard a high pitch sneeze, and a small voice mutter.

"shit."

"gesundheit." richie said, and he swore that he heard a giggle, but he wouldn't push it.

"thank you." the small voice responded.

"can you let me in?" richie tried. he knew that eddie wouldn't, but he had hoped that he might.

silence.

"please ed's, though i'd love to hang out with your mom for the rest of the morning, i came by to see you."

richie signed and sat by the door. he could no longer hear the high pitch squeal of the tea kettle down stairs. the house seemed completely silent, which was nothing new in sonia kaspbraks home. richie has just never been alone with the silence of the kaspbrak residence. every time he'd been inside of this house, the sound of eddies voice filled his ears.

richie took this time to focus in on the stupid details of the upstairs hallway. the first door on the left was a towel closet, but it mainly stored cleaning supplies that were too bulky to keep under the kitchen sink. the door next to it was eddies room. next to eddies room was the coral color themed bath room, that sonia kept spotless. at the end of the hallway was sonia's room.

there were no doors on the right hand side of the hallway, just a wall. strung about the wall, were various photos of eddie throughout the years. richies favorite being a photo of eddie when he was eight. it was taken at the park down town, eddie was holding an ice cream cone. the smile on his face was large, and his eyes were bright. he was wearing a light blue bucket hat.

richie found the picture and smiled. eddie hated that picture, which made richie love it even more. he sighed again, leaning his head back against eddies bedroom door.

"ed's, please. we don't even half to talk. just, just let me in. please."