32

the issue started when eddie came home one night in clothes that he hadn't left in.

not that bev really ever paid attention to what eddie wore, but she knew that what he had on did not belong to him.

though when she asked, his answer was simple.

"oh i spilled a coffee on myself at work, changed into something from the back. no biggie."

a perfectly valid excuse, except for the fact that eddie didn't work that night.

his schedule was always printed and stuck to the refrigerator with a stray magnet.

he never wanted to be late for a shift.

stan started to pick up that richies behavior was off aswell.

it was subtle at first.

a textbook on richies nightstand that did not align with his class schedule, a pair of socks left on the ground that were a smidge smaller than those that richie would wear, two cups in the sink instead of one.

though when stan pushed, or questioned- richie denied.

"i'm borrowing it from a friend."

"i bought them online, they came in too small."

"i just forgot to wash the dishes."

again, valid excuses.

what friend should richie ask to borrow "The Elements of Journalism" ?

and for what reason would richie, who wasn't anywhere near becoming a journalist, need to be in possession of a book by that title?

one night, bev could not find her favorite blush. she looked everywhere for it, but it wasn't in her room, so she decided to check eddies bathroom for it.

eddie was working a rather lengthy shift tonight, so she let herself into his bedroom.

upon entering his bathroom, she found her blush.

"of course. always taking my things." she mumbled as she walked out.

as she made her way past eddies bed, she noticed something that caused her to stop in her tracks.

sat perfectly atop his dresser, a ring.

not just any ring, richies promise ring.

she knew it anywhere, she helped him pick it out.

bev knew that eddie had left it on the diner table in front of stan. eddie cried about it for days. he said that his finger felt weird without the ring on it, and his wished that he'd kept it. it was burnt into beverlys memories.

so what was it doing here?

how did the ring appear within the confines of beverly's "richie tozier free" apartment?

bev couldnt wrap her mind around it.

the very thought of this ring had been rotting away eddies brain for the past several months and eating away at all happiness that he had enclosed in his small being.

his will to exist had coincided with the ring being 
in his possession, and when he lost richie, along went the ring.

the ring had never been just a ring to eddie. he'd never worn rings or accepted gold as proof of love. he never wanted a diamond to show care.

but when richie gifted the dainty band, it symbolized richies overall connection to eddie.

it made everything worth while.

beverly left the ring sitting, atop the dresser, never once disturbed.

she knew everything that she needed to know, and until it was brought up by eddie, she'd pretend to know nothing.