Unfolded past (part two)

(A:N Picture of Arianna, Taro's mate. Enjoy the chapter! ^-^)

Chapter 17

Taro closed his eyes in resignation and sank to the ground as his hope of finding his pack members alive, fled. “I can’t believe this.”

Daemon sighed as he saw the pain in his friend’s eyes. “You can see her if you want.”

Taro smiled at him weakly. “I’d like that. Maybe she might remember something if she saw me, the Beta of her lost pack.”

Daemon nodded. “You never know. We can go see her later. For now, she is busy informing the pack of the prophecy and getting the fighters ready. There’s a lot to do, we have to train the wolves and make sure that the women, children and elderly wolves are moved into the pack house. She should come back later but for now, I want to know what happened to your mate and children.”

Taro’s smile immediately wilted. “My mate…she didn’t make it. I tried to protect her, really I did, but I wasn’t strong enough.” Anguish burned brightly in Taro’s eyes and pain and regret could be heard in his voice. “We were attacked by Faustus and his rogues when we were escaping from the ambush of our pack. We were separated from Leon when we were being chased by some of the attackers, I have no idea what happened to him…or Dante for that matter. When we were attacked by Faustus, me and Arianna stayed behind to hold them off and we told Dante to run. I managed to kill the rogues but Faustus escaped. I was too late though, by the time I finished killing the rogues, Arianna was nearly dead. She lost too much blood. She…she died in my arms.” Taro clenched his fists and tears flowed down his cheeks.

Daemon gazed at him in shock and horror. “I can’t believe what you’ve been through. Arianna was a wonderful wolf, so beautiful and determined. I’m sorry for your loss Taro, truly I am. I should have been there to help you but I was too busy grieving over the death of my mate, Aria. Faustus also got to her and was responsible for her death. My daughter would have been killed too, if it wasn’t for Aria who managed to buy her time to escape.”

“It’s not your fault Daemon, I understand and I’m sorry.”

Both men bowed their heads and they relieved past memories before Daemon’s head shot up. “What did you say your son was called?”

Taro looked at Daemon in confusion. “Leon.”

“No, I meant the other one!” Daemon asked in panic.

“…Dante.”

Daemon smacked his head at his own stupidity. “Taro, Dante is still alive!”

Taro smiled sadly. “Daemon, don’t joke about things like this.”

Daemon growled in frustration. “I’m not! Your son, Dante was literally standing in this very room only over a week ago.” He insisted.

Taro looked up and Daemon in shock before hope filled his eyes. “Dante is alive?”

Daemon nodded.

“Where is he?” Taro demanded eagerly.

“…About that…” Daemon rubbed the back of his neck and chuckled nervously.