Encounters

Chapter 13

Dante landed on Faustus and dug his claws into the older wolf’s neck; blood spurted out of the wounds. The other wolves immediately sprang into action, they surrounded Dante and one of the wolves darted at him, batting him away from Faustus.

Dante slammed into a nearby rock and winced as a jagged edge scraped his shoulder making it bleed slightly. He stood up and ran at the rogues, snarling ferociously. He pounced on the back of a rogue and ripped out its throat, quickly moving onto another and doing the same thing. The other wolves grew wary as they saw how quickly he killed two of them. Dante used their hesitation to run at Faustus who was still recovering on the floor.

“Get him! There’s only one of him so restrain him!” Faustus screamed and the rogues snapped out of their fear. They stood in front of the elder wolf protectively and waited until Dante was close enough to attack. The rogues all leapt at Dante, teeth bared and claws outstretched. A furious brawl broke out. Dante managed to kill a further six wolves before he was overpowered.

There was only ten more rogues and Faustus. Dante backed away maintaining eye contact with the wolves. He had a deep cut that ran from his shoulder to his stomach; it was bleeding heavily and hurt like crazy. He also had small scratches and bite marks that stung as the cool air reached them.

“Give it up Dante, you’re outmatched!” Faustus taunted from behind the rogues. Dante growled before lunging at the wolves again. He attacked in a flurry of movements. He bit, scratched and beat at the wolves who struggled to keep up with his renewed vigour. Dante’s movements were fluid almost robotic as he ducked, weaved and attacked. His only thought was reaching Faustus and killing him slowly and painfully. The remaining ten wolves dwindled to three. By this point Dante was covered in blood, both his own and that of the rogues. The three rogues backed away as Dante approached them. Suddenly a small wolf barrelled into Dante, sending them both sprawling onto the floor.

“Leave my uncle alone!”

Dante groaned and looked at the small, cream coloured wolf on top of him with blurry eyes. His vision was starting to fade as the blood loss started to affect him. The cub snarled in his face before yelping as the three rogues surrounded Dante and smacked him off the silver wolf.

Dante reverted back into his human form and promptly passed out. “Well done Hiro, my nephew.” Hiro stood up and grinned at his uncle. Faustus made his way over to Dante’s limp body and smirked. “Now…what should I do with you?” He looked down at Dante with a thoughtful expression.

----

Daemon slammed his pen down and sagged back on his chair in relief. He had finally finished the paperwork! He then picked up his mug of hot chocolate and took a sip before placing it back on his desk. He had to get another since his old one had spilt over him; thankfully the burn had gone after half an hour thanks to his quick healing abilities. Daemon gazed at the door intensely almost daring someone to come in with more paperwork, no one came. He grinned and jumped to his feet, he would take a nice walk through his village now. It was noon and the sun was shining brightly.

Daemon walked out of his office and nodded at the wolves he passed, they bowed their heads in respect as he passed. Finally he reached the front door; he slipped his shoes on and opened the door. Immediately his face was hit with sunlight. He sighed in bliss, sunlight. He had not been out in days; nothing could ruin his mood now.

Daemon walked out and breathed in the fresh air, he smiled and walked through the village, talking with members of his pack as he came upon them. After a while he entered the woods and walked through it. The birds were chirping merrily and little animals scurried around. It was great.

“Daemon…” a voice called softly and he looked around. There was no one there. Daemon frowned before shrugging his shoulders; it must have been his imagination since he couldn’t smell anything other than the normal scent of the woods. The voice came again. “Daemon…” His name seemed to be whispered by the wind. Daemon looked up at the sky in shock.

“God? Is that you?” He whispered in awe as he looked at a fluffy cloud in disbelief.

He yelped in pain as a rock collided with his head. “You moron!” A cloaked figure landed next to him leaving the safety of the branches on the tree that Daemon had been standing under.

Daemon tore his gaze from the cloud to the figure next to him. “You’re not God!” He exclaimed.

The person next to him rubbed the back of his neck before sighing in frustration. “Of course I’m not.”

Daemon flushed as he picked up the sarcastic tone in the man’s voice. “Who are you?”

The man pushed his hood down and smiled at him. “I’ve not seen you in a long time, old friend.”

Daemon gaped at him in shock. “You’re supposed to be dead!”