The midnight wolves

(A:N Picture of Zhalia. Enjoy the chapter! ^-^)

Chapter 2

Zhalia looked over her shoulder and smirked, she couldn’t even see Kaidan anymore. Leaping over a fallen tree, she picked up speed and shot through the woods. After about ten minutes the trees started thinning out and the roofs of houses could be seen below.

Zhalia skidded to a halt as soon as the woods ended and panted heavily. Looking around, she smiled at seeing the cubs running through the village playing together. She loved her village and the wolves in it. The midnight pack was always peaceful and calm but no one wanted to get on their bad side because they were the strongest wolf pack in the country. Her father, Daemon Hunter, was the strongest wolf and current alpha but Kaidan was next in line to be the alpha.

 After she had rested, Zhalia made her way down from the top of the hill and into her village.

“Hey Zhalia, how are you today?” one of the cubs asked, smiling adorably at her.

“Oh hey Shiro! I’m fine sweetie, why don’t you go on and play with your friends; I’m just going to see my father.”

“Ok!” Shiro scampered off to join his friends, giving one last wave to Zhalia before turning and running off.

Smiling softly, Zhalia made her way through the village, nodding in acknowledgement to the older wolves that she passed. Finally she was standing in front of her house…well it was more like a mansion and many wolves were living inside for many reasons. Pushing the wooden door open, she stepped inside and was immediately blasted with warm air. In summer the house got really warm but for now she was thankful for the warmth because it was freezing outside. Sighing blissfully, Zhalia took her trainers off and placed them neatly on the shoe rack.

Kaidan would be home soon and knowing him he would probably get mud all over the entrance and she wanted her trainers nice and clean not to mention in one piece after Kaidan came home. Zhalia walked down the corridor which opened up to a massive hall with various doors leading to different parts of the house. Zhalia headed straight to the grand staircase which had giant statues of wolves on guard on each side at the foot of the stairs. She bounded up the stairs and headed straight for her father’s office, only pausing to knock before rushing in when she was told to enter.

“Ah Zhalia…I see that you are back. Have you left Kaidan behind again?” Zhalia’s father, the alpha, smiled humorously.

“I wouldn’t say I left him behind”, Zhalia laughed guiltily; “he just couldn’t keep up because he’s too slow!”

Her father laughed heartily before smiling at his daughter fondly. “Make sure that you don’t rub your victory in his face again…remember last time you did that?”

Both wolves shivered in horror as they recalled past memories. “Don’t worry father…I won’t make the same mistake twice.” Zhalia swallowed visibly before brushing aside the horror filled memories.

“I’m going to my room so good night father.” She smirked at her father’s look of horror when a black haired man came into the office, struggling to carry the mountainous pile of paperwork for the alpha.

As Zhalia left the office she caught a glimpse of her father banging his head on his desk slowly, looking as if he was being put through torture. She sure was glad that she wasn’t going to be the alpha; the paperwork that came with the job was enough to give anyone nightmares!

Making her way to her room Zhalia froze as she locked eyes with her furious older brother.

“Ah…Kaidan”, she laughed nervously, “how was your trip back home?” That was obviously the wrong thing to say because Kaidan roared before charging at his little sister with the speed of an angry bull.