His Girls!

Chapter 10

Hana studied Zhalia and Dante who were currently bickering over Zhalia’s ‘annoying’ singing.

“I can do what I want!” Zhalia glared at Dante who sighed in frustration.

“Sing inside your head where no one can hear you! I swear I’m going insane just listening to you, I don’t think I’ll last if you keep this up.” Dante exclaimed in exasperation.

“At least my singing is awesome! I bet you sing like Kaidan…that is actually scary…” Zhalia shivered in horror whilst Dante cocked his head to the side in confusion. Her brother’s singing couldn’t be that bad…could it? He looked at Zhalia who had a ‘don’t you even dare to ask me’ expression on her pale face.

He smartly decided not to pursue the subject. They both lapsed into an awkward silence that seemed to drag on.

Dante glanced at Hana who was gazing at the ground thoughtfully. Poor kid, her parents were killed right in front of her and she was left to suffer by herself. He knew how she felt though. His parents were-No! He wouldn’t think about that. It had been ten years since that day…no need to drag past memories back up.

Dante sighed which made both girls look at him quizzically but he didn’t notice. His eyes were fogged up with pain and sadness. He clenched his fists.

I couldn’t save them…Why did I just run away? WHY?!

Dante jumped slightly as Hana softly enveloped his hand in both of hers. Zhalia held his other hand in her delicate hands. They both gazed up at him with understanding expressions and smiled sadly.

“We have a feeling that you know our pain…you have experienced it and it has been a part of what made you the person you are now. We know how you feel. My mother, Hana’s parents…we have lost them in a horrible way when we were quite young and for Hana it’s still a recent event. However, we can’t dwell on past memories, we need to remember the good times as well as the bad but we can never let the horrors we have faced in life destroy us. We need to learn from them and become stronger. We need to move on and try to be the best we can be! We’ll find people to protect, precious people who we don’t want to lose. We can protect them if we learn from the past!” Zhalia finished strongly with watery eyes. She fiercely rubbed her eyes and stared into Dante’s blue eyes with such strength that it shocked him.

“I agree with Zhalia. We need to be stronger to prevent those tragedies from happening again. We need to learn and move on, our loved ones would not have wanted us to mourn over them and ruin our lives. We’ll protect each other.” Hana sniffled slightly before hugging Dante who had frozen up. Zhalia also hugged Dante who hesitantly hugged them both back.

I’ve got my two most precious people right here in my arms. I won’t lose you; I swear I’ll never let anything happen to the both of you!

Dante crushed both girls to his chest, surprising them both. Zhalia smiled at Hana who grinned back. With a mischievous smile they both pushed Dante to the floor and ran off. Dante landed on the floor with a thud and stared stupidly and the retreating backs of his girls…wait! His girls? Oh well…they were his girls now. He smiled before pouting.

“Why did you two push me? We were having a moment…for once” He muttered before looking up from the ground. “Hey! Where did you go?” He scrambled up to his feet and ran in the direction where he saw them last. “Get back here!”