The new partnership

Chapter 6

Dante and Zhalia gazed at the alpha that was deep in thought.

“So let me get this right…you”, he pointed at Dante, “saved Zhalia from rogues and want to join the midnight pack.” The alpha, Daemon, brushed a hand through his raven black hair when Dante nodded earnestly. “Well, it’s not that simple. You have to go on a mission to prove your worth and the fact that you’re silver and not black doesn’t make things any easier. In fact, your mission will be harder because the midnight pack can’t just go around and accept any wolf, you understand?”

The silver wolf nodded.

“Anyway, shift back to a human so we know what you look like.” Daemon looked at the silver wolf curiously.

The silver wolf nodded in understanding before shifting. He turned into a tall boy of 19 with metallic, silver hair that fell into ice, blue eyes. He had a black shirt with ripped jeans and he stood in front of the alpha with his hands casually in his pockets. Zhalia, still in her wolf, gaped at the handsome boy in front of her.

She looked away after a few seconds and coughed, gaining the attention of both males. “So what will he be doing on the mission?” She asked her father.

Her father ruffled through piles of paper on his desk before pulling one out and examining it. With a nod, he presented it to Dante who took it and scanned it.

“Your mission is to travel to the Black Bone mountains and locate the rogue pack there. It’s the same pack that attacked Zhalia and her mother ten years ago as well as last night. Once you have located them, I want you to kill them.” Daemon sat back in his chair as he gazed into Dante’s eyes.

Dante looked at Daemon with a grim but determined expression. “I’ll do it!”

“What! Are you crazy, he’s going to be killed! There are loads of rogues crawling all over those mountains.” Zhalia gazed at her father incredulously. “You don’t expect him to do that by himself, do you?”

Her father smiled wryly. “That’ why you will be accompanying him.”

“Exactly, so I suggest you-Wait? WHAT?” Zhalia cried in outrage.

“I said that you will be going with Dante on his mission. It’s an old rule and basically the alpha’s child has to accompany the wolf on his mission as a witness and backup so that they can judge the wolf and report on what they think. If they think the wolf is worthy and he successfully completes his mission then he will join the pack. If not, he’ll be banished.” Daemon smiled. “It’s partly your choice on whether Dante joins the pack but I have the final say. Kaidan won’t be going because he has training to do since he’s the next alpha in line.”

Zhalia thought about what her father just said. “I get to judge whether Dante is worthy of joining the pack?”

“In essence, yes, but your judgement cannot be biased in any way. You just judge on how well he does his mission, how he fights, deals with problems and anything else. You report all of this to me at the end of the mission. This mission may take at least a month to complete since the Black Bone Mountains are quite far and you have to locate the rogues. You will observe them and get familiar with their ways before disposing of them and do it quietly. The rogues have caused a lot of grief to our pack and this is a very important mission which I’m trusting to the both of you. If you do this well, you’ll both be heroes of the pack. This is a new partnership and you’ll both be in a team together so think hard about this.” Daemon looked at both of them. “Do you accept this mission?”

“Yes we do!” Both wolves replied in sync before glaring at each other.

“Stop copying me!” They said again in sync.

Both huffed in frustration before turning around to glare at opposite walls.

I wonder if they’ll manage to complete this mission together... The alpha thought in amusement.

And the new partnership was formed…