Unfolded past (part one)

(A:N Picture of Iris. Enjoy the chapter! ^-^)

Chapter 16

Zhalia hesitantly pulled the ferns aside slightly. She felt really nervous, she didn’t know what she was going to see but she really hoped it wasn’t really bad.

The room was small, that was the first thing she noticed. It was dimly lit by flickering lanterns that gave it an eerie glow. There were a couple of rogues standing behind an old man. He had straggly white hair that contrasted sharply with his vivid green eyes. His eyes took Zhalia’s breath away and not in a good way. They were a dark shade of emerald green and glinted with madness and cruelty. Zhalia shivered and was glad those eyes weren’t directed at her. The man had a powerful aura around him and even though he was quite old, Zhalia knew better than to underestimate him.

The old man was laughing at something and Zhalia gasped as he moved to the side, allowing her to catch a glimpse of Dante. She felt tears pricking the corner of her eyes. Dante looked so weak and defeated, hanging limply from the rusted, silver chains that held him to the cold wall behind him.

Silver was dangerous to werewolves. It was like kryptonite to superman. Silver could weaken wolves and if used correctly, could bring them excruciating pain. Zhalia noted the various stab wounds and cuts all over Dante’s body and snarled quietly as she noticed the silver knife in the old man’s grasp. He did this to Dante!

She was ready to charge in and rip into the old man. She was ready to tear into his flesh and spill his poisoned blood but small arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her out of her bloodlust. Zhalia looked down to see Hana who had buried her face into Zhalia’s stomach, muffling her whimpers. Zhalia’s eyes softened.

It was hard for her to see Dante like this but it must be even harder for Hana who had witnessed the brutal murder of her parents just a few days ago and at such a young age. Zhalia sighed and knelt down. Gently, she wrapped her arms around Hana and whispered into her ear softly. “Don’t worry Hana, I’ll protect you and I’ll get Dante out of there, I promise.” Zhalia pulled back and gazed into Hana’s terrified eyes; she smiled reassuringly and rubbed Hana’s head lovingly.

Hana stared into Zhalia’s deep, purple eyes that swirled with love and determination. A great calmness washed over her and she smiled as Zhalia rubbed her head. She knew Zhalia would be able to get Dante out, she didn’t know how but she could feel that Zhalia was more than capable of protecting her and rescuing Dante.

Zhalia stood up silently and peered back into the room just as a bloodied wolf was being dragged in. Her eyes widened, the wolf looked exactly like Dante in his wolf form. Dante struggled against his chains with a renewed vigour and a name escaped his lips.

“…Leon.”

----

Daemon finished speaking into the phone and disconnected it before placing it back into his pocket. He turned to face Taro before jumping back in shock at his friend who was right behind him. “Hey, what are you doing?” Daemon shouted in shock.

Taro looked at him with widened eyes. “Were you speaking to…Iris?” Daemon’s brows furrowed as he looked at Taro in confusion. “How do you know her?”

Taro’s eyes widened before he laughed breathlessly. “So she’s alive!”

Daemon backed away from his friend slowly as he threw his head back and laughed madly. “Um…are you ok Taro?”

Taro paused, mid laugh and stared at Daemon before striding over to him and shaking him by the shoulders. “Ok? I’m more than ok! Iris is alive!”

Daemon tentatively removed Taro’s hands from his shoulders before taking a step back. “Ok…how do you know Iris?”

Taro calmed down and answered his question. “Daemon, you know what happened to my pack. You know that we were attacked in the middle of the night by those…those demons! Everyone was murdered, my alpha and Luna, my friends and relatives, and my pack mates. I thought that it was only me and my family that had managed to escape but if Iris is here then that means that some of my other pack members could be alive!”

Daemon cocked his head to the side. “Are you saying that Iris is from your old pack?”

Taro nodded. “She was Axel’s daughter.”

Daemon frowned as he tried to remember who Axel was. The name was really familiar.

“Axel was the Alpha of my pack, the moonstone pack.” Taro added in helpfully when he saw the question in Daemon’s eyes.

Daemon nodded in remembrance. “The thing is I don’t think Iris will be able to tell you anything.”

“Why?”

“Because when she showed up on our territory alone ten years ago, she was seriously injured. Unfortunately, her wounds were too severe, especially her head wound so I doubt she’ll be able to tell you anything because… she has amnesia.”