Murderers!

Chapter 12

Dante hid behind some jagged rocks and tried to catch his breath. He was on top of a small cliff and he could see the rogues if he looked down. He had just arrived at the mountains and now he was quietly observing the rogue pack.  The pack was in front of a giant cave. Some of them were tearing into chunks of meat whilst some others were dozing. The leader, the old wolf with green eyes, was watching over them from an overhanging ledge. He was the one that ordered the pack to kill his parents, Dante growled lowly.

----Flashback----

“Dad, what’s wrong?” A nine year old Dante looked up at his father innocently.

“Quiet son…there’s someone here.”

Dante pressed himself closer to his father and looked around the forest fearfully. His father, a tall white wolf with ice, blue eyes scanned the area before growling. His hackles rose as his ears picked up the low snarls of nearby wolves.

“Show yourselves!” His eyes snapped to the left as a tall, wolf stepped out from behind a tree. He had rusty, red fur and emerald green eyes that glittered cruelly.

“Well, if it isn’t Taro from the Moonstone pack. What a…pleasant surprise!”

“You killed everyone in the Moonstone pack Faustus!” Taro snarled at the rogue wolf.

Dante looked at both of the wolves in confusion. Did they know each other?

“Ah, little Dante…” Faustus pulled his teeth back in a terrifying smile at the young wolf cub. “I don’t think you know me because you were too young the last time we met.”

Dante bared his teeth at the older wolf who chuckled. “Feisty aren’t you?”

“Don’t talk to my son!” Taro stepped in front of Dante, blocking him from view. “What do you want?”

The red wolf growled and several wolves stepped out from the shadows of the trees. They were all a dark brown with different eye colours. One wolf was dragging a silver wolf in its jaws.

“Arianna!” Taro shouted to his mate who was struggling to get away from the rogue wolf. Arianna whimpered in pain as the wolf tightened his grip on her neck, she instantly stopped struggling.

“Let go of my mate!” Taro took a step forward threateningly at Faustus. The wolves behind Faustus immediately surrounded Taro and Dante.

“You shouldn’t try anything because my pack will attack you.”

Taro locked eyes with Arianna who looked at him in worry.  Taro sighed and stepped back.

“That’s better. Now watch as I kill your precious mate in front of you!” Faustus signalled to his wolves that pounced on Arianna, sinking their claws into her soft flesh. Her screams filled the forest.

“No, leave her alone!” Taro lunged at the wolves and ripped them away from Arianna and stood in front of her bleeding figure protectively.

Dante backed away, whimpering. “Mum…”

Faustus whipped his head around to look at Dante and stalked towards the frightened cub.

“Run Dante!” Taro shouted at his son who had frozen in fear.

Dante glanced at his parents. His mother was trying to stand up but she collapsed. Blood pooled under her injured body and his father stood in front of her, trying to protect her from the rogues. Tears started to form in his blue eyes. “Mum…Dad, I can’t leave you!”

“Just go!” his father screamed at him. Dante turned and ran deeper into the forest.

“Leave the cub; we can hunt him down later. For now let’s just finish them off!” Dante heard Faustus ordering the rogues who snarled in agreement. He could hear the sounds of a fight then…silence.

He sobbed as he ran deeper into the dark forest.

Why did I run? I could have helped my parents…

----End of flashback----

Dante fixed his gaze on Faustus who was older and weaker. It was time to kill that murderer!

Dante silently made his way closer to the unsuspecting rogues. He was so close! With a loud growl, Dante lunged at the old wolf, teeth bared and claws outstretched, ready to spill blood. The blood of his parents’ killers!