Chapter 1: Lies

Pic of Athena in multimedia section.

Standing here staring, I was still in disbelief that he would ever do anything like this to me.

It was a horrible way to find out. My best friend was there and she had been telling me for months that he wasn't faithful. That he would do this to me. But I didn't see the signs, because love is blind.

He was sitting under a tree, sitting on top of a nicely prepared picnic, latched to her. They were having fun, laughing and playing around. He kissed her the way he would kiss me and I felt something die inside. I didn't want to believe it but the proof was right in my face.

I wanted to walk over there and confront him. To make him lose both his girls. The anger that coursed through my body was unhealthy. But still I stayed hidden. I wanted to know if he would lie to me. I pulled out my phone and texted him:

Hey Quise what u doing?

I pressed send and turned my head back up. It took a few seconds for it to send and I heard his phone go off. His girlfriend looked at the phone and rolled her eyes, so I'm pretty sure she knows about me. He texted me back and lied.

Nothing w/ a friend. Why?

I couldn't believe he would lie to me. I texted him back that I was just asking because I was excited for the date. He sent me a winky face emoji and. I never texted him back.

Two Hours Later

I was getting ready for the date. At first I wasn't going to go but Melissa convinced me I should break up with him there. I planned to do just that. I wanted to look perfect so Quise could know what he was going to miss out of. I took a shower and washed up. I covered my entire body with his favorite smell- vanilla. It turned him on, so I only wore it on our special nights. I put on my favorite dress. It was black and was tight around the waist. I put on some black high heels and headed downstairs. My mom told me it was a little chilly tonight so I put a jacket on. My mom drove me there. She was asking me more questions than usual when I wanted to be left alone. I have her quick answers and in thirty minutes we were at the French restaurant. I grabbed my purse and headed inside.

The restaurant was beautiful. It was on a mountain top and had an amazing view of the ocean. Outside was a large fireplace with dining tables around it. It was a very pretty place but it was depressing what was going to happen tonight.

I sat in my seat for ten minutes until I seen him walk in. He had a nice tuxedo on that was black. He was carrying a dozen roses- because they were my favorite- and a little too large teddy bear. He had the cologne that I loved on. He asked the waiter to help him carry the bear to his seat. He sat down and looked at me with the smile I fell in love with. We stared at each other for a few seconds and he broke the silence.

"So um did you miss me? " he said.

I looked away from him. The waiter is came over and asked what did we want. Marquis wanted a 2 pound boneless wings and I settled for a salad. It came with a little bowl of ranch dressing. After ten minutes we finally were done. I was ready.

"Marquis would you ever cheat on me?" I asked out of the blue. I knew he was going to lie I just wanted to see how far he would go.

What kind of question is that? No. " He answered. I could tell that he was uncomfortable.

"Just asking. " I took a sip of my orange soda. I laughed a little bit. " You know what Melissa said. She told me that you were at the park with another girl. She's nuts. "

He was uncomfortable. He laughed nervously. "Yeah she is. I'd never-"

My voice changed into a serious angry tone. I never hardly curse but he was irritating me with his lying. " Cut the shit Quise. I seen you with that bitch at the park. I can't believe you did this again. You promised! " At this point people were being to stare.

Marquis told me to calm down. " Baby I'm sorry. " He tried to grab my hand. I snatched away.

You are a dirty dog. I should of listened to Lissa when she told me. I wasted two years on your cheating ass. We're threw. " Tears were escaping my eyes at this point. I told myself that he wasn't going to get to me, but it was too much.

"No we're not. Baby I love you." he tried to sound sincere.

"Don't call me that! " I threw my pop onto his face, messing up his entire suit. I ran out the building and called Melissa to pick me up. This was going to be hard.