First Date Conversations

(Anything italics is their wolf)

Archer's pov

Pulling an arms width apart I finally got a good look at my mate. He was on the smaller side, compared to my six foot with a wiry look to him, dirty blond hair had been styled up into a quiff with the sides shaved and the most amazing green eyes I'd ever seen, with thick dark lashes surrounding them.

He pulled back spluttering a couple of apologies as he shoved his hands into his coat pockets, his cheeks were stained pink now as he went to walk around me without actually looking at me.

"Jax?" his head Finally shot up, taking in my face. With confusion.

"Archer?" I nodded "oh my god I'm so sorry I'm late! I had a party last night and the house got trashed and there was still stuff to clean up this morning, well most of it was done last night with some help" a small smile crept in the corners of his lips before he continued.

"Then my phone died on the way here and my bus keep getting rescheduled, so by the time I got off I was a bit lost to be fair, I've not lived here long" he stopped to take a breath from his rambling "and this probably all seems like excesses" he looked down at his feet now.

"No, no its fine, buses are rubbish" I tried, not like I'd ever taken one before, but the last thing I wanted was my mate to feel bad.

"Thank you, I really am sorry you had to wait so long but if you'd still like to grab a hot drink, I would totally love that" his smile was beautiful, I couldn't help but nod and follow behind him.

Once we both had our drinks, a large hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallow scattered on top, while I grabbed a black coffee with extra sugar this time.

We sat back in the same table I'd sat in for over an hour, staring at each other for a while in awkward silence. Come on Archer you've waited so long to meet your mate and now he's sat right in front on you waiting for you to make some kind of conversation with him.

"So urm... How was the party?" he sat his drink back down on the table, still staring at me.

"It was okay, I had fun in the end. I'm sorry but you look really familiar" please don't tell me Damon fucked my mate. "have we met before?"

"I don't think so, I think I'd remember someone like you" he's got to of met Damon because I'd definitely remember my own mate, hopefully it was just meeting.

We sat chatting for the next half hour until both our glasses were empty and we were both left sat in silence. Even I had to admit the conversation had felt awkward and forced even for a first date, no matter how hard I tried to ask as many questions about him and answer everyone he asked me. I thought once you met your mate it all fell together, that you'd have this natural connection with each other.

I'd fucked up my first meeting with my mate, he wasn't a wolf that would try again because of the whole mate thing, he was human and, in their world, if a date didn't work you moved on to the next one.

"So, would you like to meet again?" he looked awkward now as he ran his finger around the lip of his glass repeatedly.

"urm"

"look I know this was a bit awkward, I'm just not very good at this whole sitting down date thing. So how about you give me another chance and we will go and do something more fun?" I tried.

"well..." I gave him my best puppy eyes because I really needed this second chance.

"Okay" he let the most breath taking smile spread across his face "but I really best get going and try getting the house finished before my parents get home" he stood up so I followed, looking at each other for a second before we both leaned across the table for a quick hug. The natural sweet candy smell drifting towards me again.

"Mine"

He pulled back with a smile "I'll text you and we can arrange something?"

"Okay sounds great, good luck with your parents" with a quick bye he left leaving me sat there beaming, I had one more chance to impress him at least.