Chapter 14

I had to practically drag Albus downstairs. I kept reassuring him that it was fine and that with Lucy around they wouldn't say much, at least stuff that Albus was so sure that my parents were going to say. I didn't think it would come up because Lucy would be the one to ask a million questions but I should have known better. My dad was a lot of things, quiet and conscientious were not some of them.

"So, you and Albus," he said before we had even served the food. "How long has that been going on?"

"Forever, daddy," Lucy answered and rolled her eyes like what Dad had asked was stupid. "He is my favorite brother since he has never yelled at me." She gave me a pointed look as if I yelled her constantly.

I rolled my eyes too and stuck my tongue out at her which made her giggle and stick her own tongue out at me.

"One, ouch, Lucy. I don't recall Al being there to read you stories when you were sick and play dolls with you when Ellie wouldn't." Lucy shrugged as if that didn't count and I scoffed. "Second, it's been three months now."

"Does anyone else know?" Dad asked, looking between Al and me.

Albus squirmed and started playing with his food.

"Everyone but his parents," I said, placing a reassuring hand on Al's knee. "Which we'd appreciate if you didn't tell them. Al's planning on telling them during the break."

Lucy looked confused but before she could ask Mum handed her a roll which she happily started nibbling on.

"'Course we won't tell them. It's your decision when and how to tell them." Mum said.

Dad looked like he had more questions but Mum nudged him.

"We'll talk more later, yeah?" Dad asked, looking at me.

I nodded and I felt Albus relax slightly.

After that, dinner went by without a hitch. Al still looked nervous. No doubt, afraid of the conversation to come when Lucy was out of the room. When we all finished, Lucy hopped up and went over to Albus and started pulling on his arm.

"Will you come play with me?" Lucy asked.

Albus looked at me and I gave him a reassuring smile. "You go so I can talk to my parents for a while."

Albus nodded and stood up before following Lucy out of the room.

"Three months," Dad said. "So, that would mean you two were together when you got attacked. That was the reason why you were out there in the first place, wasn't it? To meet up."

"Yeah. It was a couple of days after that when Albus decided that we should come out because he felt guilty after what had happened."

"He decided? It wasn't something that you wanted to do?"