Chapter 29

Tuesday 2nd June 1964

9am

Jack and Jackie were sitting talking over breakfast. Jack was still pale looking but he seemed okay. “What changes have been made to the schedule?” Jack asked buttering his toast.

“We’re going back to the White House because they want you to make a statement about your Addison’s and then you’re taking a week off.”

“I’m what?”

“You need to for your health. I don’t care what you say.”

Jack just nodded. Deep down he was relieved he was exhausted.

12pm

Marine One

Jack was sitting reading over a document when Jackie appeared and sat down beside him. “Hiya kid.”

Jackie slowly pulled the document out of his hand. “What are you doing?”

She giggled before resting her head against his arm. “I love you.”

“I love you too kid.”

Jackie kissed him gingerly. He moaned softly. “Where are we going since we’re taking the week off?”

“Wexford.”

“Sounds good to me.”

Jackie nuzzled his neck. She continued doing so till Kenny came in. “Mr President, are you ready for your press conference about your Addison’s disease?”

Jack nodded. “I suppose so.”

“Will you be with him Mrs Kennedy?”

“Of course I will Kenny.”

Kenny nodded and left.

“Jackie I’m nervous.” Jack whispered rubbing her hand.

“You’ll be fine Bunny; I’ll be with you every step of the way. The people will still support you.”

Jack nodded and gazed out of the window as the White House came into view.

2pm

The Press Briefing Room

Jack walked in and stood at the podium. Jackie was standing beside him. She knew this was hard for him. “Good afternoon, you’re probably wondering why there was such a big change to the campaign schedule overnight well that was partly my fault. In the early forties I was diagnosed with a disease called Addison’s disease, it’s when I don’t get a certain hormone and it can have serious side effects if I don’t get my medicine, effectively I could die but that’s extreme. Basically yesterday I suffered an Addison’s crisis which is the first since the early fifties. According to Mrs Kennedy I need to take the rest of this week off to recover but normally it’s managed well by medication.”

Jack took a deep breath.

“Why are we only finding out now?”

“Well it was well managed and I hadn’t had a flair up in years so we didn’t see it necessary to inform you as it had little effect on me.”

After a few more questions the First Couple left. They turned to each other in the hall and hugged each other tightly. “You did well Bunny.”

“Thanks kid.”

She rubbed his back. “Come on I’ll run you a bath.”

Jack nodded and followed her.