Chapter 18

Saturday 7th December 1963

11am

Jack’s Room

Jackie was in her husband’s room she was packing his clothes when he emerged from the bathroom. He was advised to use one crutch for balance which he was. He was wearing a pair of navy chinos and a blue pullover. “You okay?”

Jack nodded.

“Come on then, once you’re home you can rest.” Jackie said as she took his arm. They made their way slowly to the main door. When they walked out the press took pictures and watched as they saw for the first time just how bad the President had been hit in Dallas. “Mr President!” A reporter yelled.

Jack stopped and turned slowly with Jackie’s help. “How are you feeling sir?”

“A bit better but it’s going to take time.” Jack replied weakly.

“When will you be returning to Washington?”

Jack sighed. “I really don’t know, I need to get the all clear from my doctor. I’d really appreciate it, if you could just let me rest for a few days without requests to do an interview I promise I’ll do one before Christmas.”

The reporter nodded noticing the strain in the Presidents eyes. “Thank you Sir.”

Jack slowly got into the car and sat back. Once Jackie was in they raced to Hammersmith Farm.

When they arrived Jackie helped her husband into the living room. “Do you want anything?” Jackie asked.

“Can you get me my James Bond book?”

“Sure.” Jackie smiled.

Jack sat down on the sofa and put his feet up. His back was beginning to feel a bit easier but he was extremely drowsy and fed up with the pain.

4pm

Jack was sitting alone in the living room; he had just woken up when the phone rang. He answered it quickly. “Hello?”

“Jack?”

“Pierre?” Jack asked.

“Yes Sir.”

“Whatever it is I’m really not up to hearing what it is.”

“Oh no Sir I just wanted to phone and see if you were okay. I was worried about you after your stay in hospital.”

“Thank you Pierre.” Jack said holding back his emotion.

“I’ll deal with everything to let you rest as much as possible.”

“Thank you.”

“I’ll speak to you soon Sir.” Pierre said.

“Bye Pierre.”

After Jack hung up he lay back down on the sofa. He was so glad he had everyone to support him during this time.