Chapter 24

Friday 10th January 1964

7pm

The Residence, the White House

Jack hobbled into the residence. He looked ill. He was pale and tired looking. Jackie was standing waiting in the hall. “Bunny, can you come with me please?” Jackie asked.

“Sure.” Jack replied suspiciously.

When they entered his bedroom Jack got a shock. “Mr President.”

“Dr Carrico.” Jack said shaking his hand.

“I’ll leave you two.” Jackie said before leaving.

“What are you doing here?” Jack asked as he sat down pulling his tie off. He groaned from the pain in his back.

“Mrs Kennedy is really worried about you and wanted me to check you over.”

“I’m fine.”

“With all due respect Sir you don’t look alright.”

Jack broke down in tears. “I’m not alright the pain is horrible I don’t want to get up in the morning. I can’t hug my kids, pick them up or even have any physical contact with me wife.”

Dr Carrico nodded. “Jackie showed me what Dr Travell had said and what medicine she has you on. I disagree with a few of her decisions and Jackie asked me to take over your care till your better but it’s up to you Jack.”

“Do you think you can get me fit enough so I can hug my children?”

“Absolutely.”

“Then it’s a deal.” Jack said shaking his hand.

“Can you lie on your stomach so I can look at your back?”

Jack nodded. He felt Dr Carrico prodding his back. “Your wounds have healed nicely but I’m going to put you back on physiotherapy and a heat pad on your back at night.”

“What about my medicine?” Jack asked as he changed into his pyjamas.

“I’ve changed a few dosages etc. It’ll help and it’ll mean you won’t be as drowsy and tired.”

“Thank you.”

“No problem.” Dr Carrico smiled. “I also want you to only work for an hour at a time and take a break, just to keep the stress to a minimal.”

Jack nodded.

“I’ll see you first thing in the morning Sir. Goodnight.”

“Night.”

After he’d left Jackie came in. “Thank you for looking out for me Jackie.” Jack smiled.

“No problem, I just want you to feel better.”

He nodded. “I need to sleep.”

“Sleep tight bunny.” Jackie said kissing his cheek. She switched the light off before leaving. He needed all the rest he could get.