Chapter 7

When Dr Carrico returned he found the First Couple sitting side by side on the bed. The President had his head rested against his wife’s. “Jack?”

He slowly looked up trying not to jar his back. “Tomorrow we’re going to put a waterproof dressing on so you can shower, for tonight though I want you to but a heat pack on the top of your back to ease the stiffness.”

“Ok.”

“Jackie if you would like we can put up a bed so you can stay with Jack.”

Jack turned to look at his wife. He really didn’t want her to go. “That sounds a good idea.”

Dr Carrico nodded and left.

“Thank you for staying with me.” Jack said.

Jackie nodded. “I wouldn’t be anywhere else.”

“Why don’t you go and try and find a phone I’d really like to speak to Bobby.” Jack pleaded.

“Sure bunny.” Jackie smiled.

Once she’d left, Jack put both his hands on the edge of the bed and pushed himself up. The pain was unbearable. He took a step forward; a sharp pain went up his back. He took a few more steps before sitting back down on the bed. He felt proud.

When Jackie returned she had a nurse with her, who connected a phone up. “Thank you.”

After the nurse had left them Jack turned to his wife. “Can you get Bobby for me?”

She smiled and dialled the number of Hickory Hill. “Hello Ethel?”

“Oh Jackie are you okay? All the phone lines in DC have been down we didn’t know where to phone, are you and Jack okay?”

“Ethel calm down, we’re both alive. Jack’s been seriously wounded but he’ll recover slowly.”

“I have Bobby he wants to talk.”

“Hello Bobby?” Jackie asked.

“Jackie are you okay? Is Jack okay? We will find who did this. I promise! We already have investigations underway.”

“Ok Bobby, one question at a time. I’m fine, Jack’s recovering slowly, he wants to speak to you.” Jackie said handing the phone to her husband.

“Bobby?” Jack asked weakly.

“Oh Jack I’m so sorry I let this happen.” Bobby replied.

“What are you on about?”

“I made to many enemies this is my fault.”

“It’s not stop worrying, I phoned you because I want you to do something for me.”

“Sure anything.”

“Keep Lyndon out of the Oval, I don’t care if you have to move Mrs Lincoln in their just keep him out.”

Bobby laughed. “I’ll do that.”

“Thank you.”

After a few more minutes he hung up. A nurse had set up a bed for Jackie and she was sitting on it looking at her wedding ring.

“Has anyone briefed the press on what’s happening?” Jack asked.

“Bunny don’t worry Kenny is taking care of everything. They just need you to get better.”

“Oh okay.”

The couple were sitting in silence when the door burst open. “Mr President I’m so sorry I wasn’t here. I’m glad you’re okay and that you’re okay Mrs Kennedy.” Pierre said on the verge of crying.

Jackie got up and hugged him. “Pierre it’s okay calm down.”

Jack smiled. “How was Japan?”

“I only saw the airport but it was very nice.”

Jack laughed. “You didn’t need to come.”

“Mrs Kennedy asked me too.”

“She did?”

“Yeah, she wants to make a statement and then let me answer the questions.”

Jack nodded.