Chapter 27

Saturday 2nd May 1964

Jack and Jackie’s room, New York Hotel

8:45am

Jack and Jackie were lying in each other’s arms. Neither were wearing any clothes, it was the closest they’d been in five months. “How are you feeling bunny?” Jackie asked smiling.

Jack grinned. “Do you really need an answer to that?” Jack giggled.

Jackie ruffled his hair and kissed him. “How’s your head?”

“What?” Jack asked confused.

“Word in the West Wing is if you don’t get a girl every three days you get a terrible headache, you must have had a migraine by now.” Jackie teased.

“Ha-ha very funny.”

Jackie kissed him tenderly. “When do you have to leave for the press breakfast? I need to be there for ten thirty.”

“I need to be there for ten.”

“Ok.”

She watched as her husband heaved himself out of bed and into the bathroom to wash and dress.

It was half nine when he returned, he was attempting to do his tie. Jackie giggled. “What?” Jack asked curiously. She moved her finger, indicating for him to come closer. He put both hands on the bed and looked into her eyes. He was quickly a taken back by the passion she kissed him with. “Whoa Jackie, slow down.” Jack managed to mumble.

She grinned and grabbed his tie, pulling him down on to the bed. She soon rolled on top of him, he couldn’t stop smiling. “Jackie, you are an eager lady.”

She blushed. “Five months Jack!”

He laughed and pulled her under the duvet. After they’d made love they lay close together. Jack was trying to catch his breath when Kenny came in. “Jack! I told you to be ready for ten!”

Jack sat up immediately and pulled his shirt back on and started doing his tie. “I…..um was just eh…..”

“Busy.” Jackie said finishing his sentence. He turned and smiled at her.

“Let me just visit the bathroom.” Jack said before disappearing. Kenny sighed and tapped his foot.

Jackie got up and sat down elegantly on the sofa. When Jack returned he wasn’t as red in the face and he’d fixed his suit. “I’ll see you shortly.” Jack smiled.

“Aren’t you forgetting something?” Jackie teased.

Jack grinned and kissed her very passionately. “Ok, ok right you can kiss her later come on.” Kenny complained as he grabbed Jack’s arm. He couldn’t stop smiling as he was dragged out by his chief of staff.

The Ballroom, 10:30am

Jack was standing at the podium about to speak. “Good morning, I know you’re all eagerly waiting for Mrs Kennedy but it takes her a little longer to look her best, but when she does, she always looks good.” Jack smiled. “She’s probably choosing a necklace, she asked me and I said the gold one and she replied Jack don’t be so stupid you just have no idea.” The audience laughed. Suddenly the doors opened and Jackie walked in wearing a beautiful navy dress and a white jacket. Jackie’s face lit up when she saw him.

“What necklace did you pick?” Jack asked as she made her way up on to the stage.

“The pearl one.”

Jack chuckled and kissed his cheek. “You look lovely.” Jack whispered. She blushed. “Thank you bunny.”

Once the breakfast was over, he and Jackie left hand in hand and went back up to their room. As soon as the door was closed Jack wrapped her in his arms. He gently kissed her neck. “You are seriously one amazing wife.”

“Oh? And what made you realise that?”

Jack pulled back. “You looked after me during the worst period of my life and you helped me get back to full health.”

Jackie smiled. “For sickness and in health Jack, I meant it.”

He nodded. “I think the line and through everything the husband does wrong, the wife always sticks by should be added to the vow.”

“It’s in the past Jack. We’re happy.”

He nodded and kissed her cheek. “Let’s rest we have a busy week.”

Jackie grinned and sat down pulling him down with her.